Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2012, 09:40 AM

Advice needed to get Mac to eat.

To cut a long story short, Mac hurt his spine on Tuesday. He has been to the vets and has been put on strong anti imflammatories for a week.

Before he started these tablets he had thrown up when we got back from the vets, it was yellow so assumed it was bile as he hadn't eaten for 24hrs (his choice). I gave him some duck breast (a favourite) and at first didn't eat it but then ate a little. A few hours later he sicked it all up. He did this with his next meal also even though he had 3 small pieces of heart and a few mouthfuls of fish. This didn't stay inside him for 5 mins.

Rang the vets and he has anti sickness tablets which seemed to help. He ate half a frying steak last night and it all stayed down so thought we had turned a corner. This morning I gave him some rabbit, he was licking it but hasn't eaten any.

I just wondered if anyone has any idea how I can get him to eat before I get on the phone to the vet.....yet again.

Thanks in advance.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 10:36 AM
stick to bland foods with little flavour for now. things like cooked chicken and rice or vegetables. keep him on that until his stomach is settled. if hes feeling unwell mixing and matching so much will only make him worse.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Cooked mash potato and chicken is good, with maybe some bio yoghurt. Scrambled egg made with water is good also. Little and often is the key.
Hope he soon feels better
xx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Poor Mac, I hope that he starts to feel better very soon.

As others have said, just feed tiny tiny amounts for now, every couple of hours or so, and stick to the same bland things such as scrambled egg, potato or chicken. Perhaps a little bit of sardine mixed in will help to tempt him, but if he doesn't eat it then throw it away and try again an hour later. As long as he is drinking, then try not to worry too much.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Convalescent Dog Food

I pot (decide on size relative to dog) of live yoghurt such as Yeo Valley
I banana
Manuka Honey
Slippery Elm/Tree Bark Powder

Stick in blender and make smoothie dogs LOVE it.
ellea
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I agree with all the above little and often and if Mac doe's not eat it chuck it in the bin, I tend to use rich t bicces as well to mix in as most dogs do like a sweet biscuit if we give it to them as a treat, so long as he drinking I would not worry too much
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I have been at work all day so just read all the replies.

My OH made another appointment at the vets this afternoon for tomorrow, he is going to have urine and maybe blood tests to make sure there isn't an under lying problem.

If the tests come back all clear I will be giving your suggestions a go.

Thanks again.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2012, 08:37 PM
He is currently munching some Maccy D's plain cheese burger, I have gone to desperate measures I dont care right now as long as he eats.
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Warm chicken soup
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Well done for having him checked.

The food you were giving was pretty rich for an ailing dog so that may well have been the cause. As others have said, keep to very bland, easily digested food until he is on the mend.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >