View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2012, 01:49 PM
choke chains were the main thing for years before CM and dog borstal, way back to the 70's
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
choke chains were the main thing for years before CM and dog borstal, way back to the 70's
Yep but not in my area. I'm sure they were elsewhere, but just not where I'm from.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Yep but not in my area. I'm sure they were elsewhere, but just not where I'm from.
bright people your area
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Dear oh dear how on earth did us old b*ggers ever manage to train a dog until you clever youngsters came along and showed us how
Seriously do you really believe we all went around battering our dogs in order to get them to obey or did we just treat them pretty much as we do today?
The way I train my dogs has never really changed tbh, and yet they are well behaved, loved and cherished individuals just like all the dogs I've owned in the past were. Not one of them has ever been battered or treated roughly and yet I've always been firm with them. Firm to me means I'm the one making the decisions, the one taking responsibility and funnily enough I do expect to be obeyed, not because I'm a bully but because my decisions and instructions are given for a reason and their lives may depend on them complying.
Old git that I am
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Oh dear, when did "old school" become a negative

I`m very old school, I raised my children and dogs with the old school mentality, firmness, morality and respect for others.

That`s what "old school " means to me, cruelty can fit in any school you want it to, its not exclusive to old school teaching methods.

We seem to live in a society that anything that went before is classed as "old school" (wrong) yet from my old chair , I see a lot of "new school" is very very wrong in society.

I will carry on living in my old school bubble, it works for me and will carry on doing so..........
I'm with these two ^^.

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Choke chains became universally popular with Barbara Woodhouse and her tv program in the '80's
Rattle bottles I'd never come across until Dog Borstal when Rob seemed to use the damn thing every week. Before that it was training discs.
Roger Mugford was repeatedly advocating using a rattle can to correct behaviour in his training book published back in 1992, way before Dog Borstal: "Never say 'NO' when a rattle can works better".
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Some really Cool electro and gangster tunes from the eighties and early nineties before hiphop went downhill

Priceless!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that "old school"/older methods make you a cruel owner, just that the term "old school" conjures up the thoughts of older methods - some of which are cruel but some that just aren't so modern. Nothing wrong with using some of the older methods if they work and don't distress the dog, but OP asked what the words mean to us and everyone's stated that. Not sure why people are taking it personally (I, myself, also don't let the dogs on furniture either)
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I didn't hear of prong or electric shock collars until very recently.

My GSDs were trained in the 70s. There were NO TREATS. It was praise based. We were told over and over NOT to shout at (or sargeant major) the dogs. But choke chains were used on big dogs and given a jerk but we were told they were more useful for throwing against a door when the dog was the other side of it barking like a loony.

No one hit their dog in my classes. We were told a rolled up newspaper was an invaluable tool to hit yourself over the head with if you took your eye off the ball when training. And to whack a table with if they were chewing or whatever (hell - it's a long time ago!)

Walking to heel was taught by keep stopping and changing direction. I remember being told not to make eye contact with my GSD (coz she obviously loves you so much!) and then not even to say her name when giving a command for the same reason. I'm sure it took longer then but I had nothing else to compare it with. I did not want to be one of the dog owners who screamed at and/or beat their dogs.

My dogs were not allowed upstairs or on the furniture - main reason for that being their size.

Yes, all this treat and reward based training is news to me really. I hardly had to train a cavalier (didn't do anything wrong anyway - once housetrained and taught to stop pulling on a lead). The min pin I have now was VERY easy to housetrain and seems to be very smart anyway and was taught to walk without pulling and come back to me and stay without using treats. Just constant repetition and praise (I'm a beach bum I've got all the time in the world).

After joining this site and learning how to teach with treats I did teach Bella 'paw' (taught her high five too!). It's gone by the by now because there isn't really any reason for it. I don't find a lot of reason for 'SIT' to be honest.

STAY! or WAIT! and WALKING (which is what I say instead of 'HEEL') and THISWAY! which is my version of COME! and OUT! is about all I need.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

Priceless!
cheers

buth that really is my answer to the question
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 06:54 PM
"Old School"doesn't exist IMHO, old fashioned, outdated yes when thinking about dog training.

The old methods of dog training that go back centuries were formulated when compulsion was used in all types of training/education for animal & humans alike, little was known or understood about how animals & humans learn.

Choke chains have been used to train dogs for over 50 years, the theory behind correct use is that the noise of the chain corrects the dog & they can be used without damage/pain to the dog, sadly this is rarely the case & most are used as a chain noose.

To me old fashioned/outdated dog training is very physical with the dog being compelled to do what the owner requires rather than being taught what is required by using the dog's learning ability.

The only thing I agree with with the likes of CM is that dogs live in the now, they have no sense of guilt or of wrong behaviour. Using the reward for good/desired behaviour has worked for my dogs for over 40 years, I haven't used a choker since 1964 & haven't owned one since then(except for a gold plated snake link one given to me when we made up our breed champion which has never been used as a choker).

I love watching dogs learn behaviours by being rewarded by a click &/or treat, to see the dog working things out & then successfully learning to do as they are being aimed at is very rewarding
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6