View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
James Thomas
New Member!
Male 

08-06-2012, 04:39 PM
To me old school in the context of dog teaching is now mostly just reflection upon outdated methods used in the past.

Sure we still have some people who teach dogs based upon information from old books or based on conversations with people from that time period.

So mostly I would say old school is techniques that have proven to either be ineffective or just out right cruel. Such as beating animals into 'submission' and using aids such as prong collars to actually teach a behaviour.

That in my opinion is what defines old school and for the most part should have no place in modern dog teaching.

On the other hand being firm is something i believe everyone does with their dog. To me it's mostly just saying no in a firm voice.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-06-2012, 04:51 PM
my dogs are not allowed out or in the door first, not old school just common sense as who knows what is behind said door.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Not sure that anyone said it was a crime or cruelty....

In my mind it fits with the old school attitude with not ever allowing dogs through doors first, making them move if they are in front of you, always eating before you feed them. It's a general approach to dog training.

That's not to say that specific aspects can't be used independently and for various reasons. I also do not allow my dog on furniture but that's because he's far too big and hairy
Unfortunately however in your original post you linked not allowing dogs on furniture with aversives, I was trying to point out that I would not necessarily consider someone who did not allow their dogs on the furniture as "old school".

2 + 2 do not = 5
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
my dogs are not allowed out or in the door first, not old school just common sense as who knows what is behind said door.
True with front or back doors, but some people insist that a dog cannot walk through an internal door frame before them when simply wondering around the house, personally I find this OTT
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by theo&milly View Post
My friend's husband hit my CKC on the muzzle when he mouthed him as a curious 8/9 week old pup does. He told me that was the old school method of correcting unwanted behaviour. We've not seen/spoken to friend's husband since then and pup is now 6 months old. That's the new school way of ditching unwanted guests who hit puppies.

It's amazing that people actually think they have the right to "do" anything to somebody else's dog, apart from anything else.

I think they fancy themselves experts, when really they are nothing of the sort

Wys
x
James Thomas
New Member!
Male 

08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
I completely agree with you on that point. It's a completely logical reason to walk through a door first.

Although it did originate in the old school philosophy of dominating a dog and showing that you are the 'alpha' dog.

So I suppose you could look at it as an old school technique or purely as you said a common sense thing.

Haha.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Old school as a term would be either negative as in old-fashioned & outdated, or positive as in retro (e.g. "old school music" to me would mean stuff from my early teens) . In terms of dog training, I would interpret old school as using physical methods, aversives, choke chains, etc. - so a negative thing. Being firm would depend on the context but paired with old school, again, I'd think negative - firm physically, e.g. scruffing a dog, or firm with the voice, e.g. shouting. In another context, it could simply mean being consistant and having rules in place, not necessarily negatively (e.g. being firm about no dogs allowed on the sofa/in the bed).
Pretty much how I think

Wys
x
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Unfortunately however in your original post you linked not allowing dogs on furniture with aversives, I was trying to point out that I would not necessarily consider someone who did not allow their dogs on the furniture as "old school".

2 + 2 do not = 5
I was simply listing things that come to MY mind when I think of the term old school. The thread is entitled "what do is mean to YOU". For me, I do think it can be part of the old school view I.e. never allow your dogs on the furniture because they'll try to take over the world! I never said it was an adversive. Of course what old school means to you may be entirely different bit that is the point of the thread I do resent the insinuation that I suggested that not allowing dogs on furniture is "cruel" It was simply part of a list of things that spring to MY mind...
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by James Thomas View Post
I completely agree with you on that point. It's a completely logical reason to walk through a door first.

Although it did originate in the old school philosophy of dominating a dog and showing that you are the 'alpha' dog.

So I suppose you could look at it as an old school technique or purely as you said a common sense thing.

Haha.
I agree with this. There are many good sensible reasons for rules and boundaries such a allowing on furniture/in and out of doors etc. but there is an old school mind set that you must enforce these to "be the boss" of the dog or it'll try to be "the pack leader". It's this mentality I was referring too rather than the separate actions themselves.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
2 + 2 do not = 5
Exactly, could be worth taking your own advice here Amanda didn't say the methods she listed were cruel
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »