Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 03:46 PM

What does old school mean to you??

When people use terms like Old School and being firm what does that mean to you?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Old school as a term would be either negative as in old-fashioned & outdated, or positive as in retro (e.g. "old school music" to me would mean stuff from my early teens) . In terms of dog training, I would interpret old school as using physical methods, aversives, choke chains, etc. - so a negative thing. Being firm would depend on the context but paired with old school, again, I'd think negative - firm physically, e.g. scruffing a dog, or firm with the voice, e.g. shouting. In another context, it could simply mean being consistant and having rules in place, not necessarily negatively (e.g. being firm about no dogs allowed on the sofa/in the bed).
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Old School i take to mean things like choke chains, bopping on the nose. Firm i take to mean slightly rough?
That said i think firm depends on context, i'd describe myself as very firm but very fair especially with my horses, and they don't get beaten up, they just know their boundaries and that it's usually quicker/easier to do what i ask!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Yup, as above. Be the leader, choke chains, shouting, smack on the nose, physical manipulation (like pushing the bum down to teach Sit), sound aversion like rattle bottles, scruffing, alpha rolling, no dogs on furniture, must go out the door first, must eat first etc
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:25 PM
The terms old school and firm conjur up all sorts of negative methods to me none of which id ever use on my dog.

How was it that people decided these forms of training were negative?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
When people use terms like Old School and being firm what does that mean to you?
Some really Cool electro and gangster tunes from the eighties and early nineties before hiphop went downhill
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Some really Cool electro and gangster tunes from the eighties and early nineties before hiphop went downhill
its had to be said ^^
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Well I do not allow my dogs on the furniture. Does that make me old school?

Last time I looked this was not a crime................ or considered dog cruelty.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well I do not allow my dogs on the furniture. Does that make me old school?

Last time I looked this was not a crime................ or considered dog cruelty.
Not sure that anyone said it was a crime or cruelty....

In my mind it fits with the old school attitude with not ever allowing dogs through doors first, making them move if they are in front of you, always eating before you feed them. It's a general approach to dog training.

That's not to say that specific aspects can't be used independently and for various reasons. I also do not allow my dog on furniture but that's because he's far too big and hairy
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2012, 04:38 PM
My friend's husband hit my CKC on the muzzle when he mouthed him as a curious 8/9 week old pup does. He told me that was the old school method of correcting unwanted behaviour. We've not seen/spoken to friend's husband since then and pup is now 6 months old. That's the new school way of ditching unwanted guests who hit puppies.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »