Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
can i just ask, with this rule, is it 5 minute per month per day? so the dog only gets 15 minute walk a day? or could you do 15 minutes, then say in the afternoon do another 15 minutes?
I treat it as what it is Clo...a guideline rather than a "rule" (I don't do rules!) and guidelines leave room for interpretation.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
That doesn't mean they get no exercise a lot of breeders and this lady in particular were/are lucky enough to have space and other dogs mostly Bernese to interact with.

I like you was astonished at first till I read the whole book and realised what she said made a great deal of sense in this breed. Not all the breeders recommend this but they do recommend a lot of the points made in this book but they know the majority of us do not have the luxury to exercise in our own large spaces. It does make you realise the necessity for caution though.

Allowing them to play in the house and garden is sometimes enough and does build up the muscle have you ever seen a Bernese pup play ? It is the walking without breaks and pushing the pup to far that has the detrimental effect on the bone and can lead to serious issues when they grow older. That is also why it recommended they walk on soft ground for the first few months not pavement walking. The pounding damages the soft bone where as soft ground slowly builds the muscle and protects the bone at the same time.

I myself do no thave the luxury of huge space where Dillon can exercise at free will so I have to use the space outside my door but make sure it is no longer than the 15 mins and if he slows down I slow down and of course I have to make sure there is no rough housing whether he starts it or someone else does.

He gets lots of play in the house and garden which is all helping build up the muscle.
I disagree that walking on hard surfaces damages bone. In moderation, it is probably one of the single best things for conditioning muscle mass.

Any type of exercise done to excess at a young age can be damaging, not just walking on hard surfaces. Most developmental joint diseases are polygenic and governed primarily by genetics but can be made worse by environmental impacts (over exercise). A dog with genetically good joints are not going to be ruined by doing slightly over the recommended amount of exercise.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I am gong to stick rigidly with the advice given by someone who kenw the breed inside out and others that also know a lot about the development of Bernese.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
When Harley was little (he was 4-5months when we got him), I followed the 5 mins per month rule, and took him for 2/3 walks a day with it. He would occasionally come to the parks with Jess, but because she's much bigger and faster, he would spend the whole time chasing after her, so we didn't take him too often together with her.
Red[dog]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2012, 12:24 PM
What age is this guideline supposed to end?

I've never really liked it myself; some breeds I'd stick to it but I think the individual dog, his breed/s and needs would be most important. I'd let the pup 'tell' me what he's comfortable with, but obviously wouldn't take them out for 30 - 60 minute hikes when very young

When Kasper was 9 months old, so going by the guide should have been on 45 minutes exercise, he was getting 2 - 3 hours a day, plus training, play and stimulation...and boy did he need it!

Our vet didn't have a problem with this either, so I guess the guideline is only for young puppyhood to about 6 months of age?

Red
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Red[dog] View Post
What age is this guideline supposed to end?

I've never really liked it myself; some breeds I'd stick to it but I think the individual dog, his breed/s and needs would be most important. I'd let the pup 'tell' me what he's comfortable with, but obviously wouldn't take them out for 30 - 60 minute hikes when very young

When Kasper was 9 months old, so going by the guide should have been on 45 minutes exercise, he was getting 2 - 3 hours a day, plus training, play and stimulation...and boy did he need it!

Our vet didn't have a problem with this either, so I guess the guideline is only for young puppyhood to about 6 months of age?

Red
I believe (and adhered to) 12 months.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 12:55 PM
God I read this and look back at how much free exercise mine got as young puppies! I would agree with Labradork that it's forced exercise that's a problem.

I was also under the impression that weight bearing exercise is the best way to build strong bones and good muscle mass.

My two would be outside for a few hours at a time, they would have a wee run about and some rough and tumble (still don't get why that's a problem??) in the fields, then when they were tired they would come over and sit next to us, taking in the sights and sounds of the world, maybe have a wee nap, a wee sniff about. They weren't put on a lead, weren't taken for walks, but if they wanted to run and play they could. Equally if they wished to sit about, or just go to sleep, they could. Nothing was forced.

Having a wee rest on dad's wellies at around 3 or 4 months old:

Having a wee snooze in the sun while I read a book oustide:

Common sense and knowing your own individual dog is the key
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Thats it free exercise and the puppy dictating not you.

Dillon gets the same as Ollie did 5 mins per month so at the moment 15 mins on a harness and long line on the field he bounces about and then settles into a nice trot then walk for 15 mins.

He has play inside and out before this and will continue to play, rag his ragger jump about indoors and have a zoomie outside too afterwards till he settles for the night. So overall exercise more than 15 mins. But the whole point is the puppy is dictating when it wants to play and when it wants to rest and when it wants to sleep.

For some breeds more than this is proably fine, for Dillons breed it is not and has to be managed carefully. As I said in my first post my Aussie Shepherd mix would go forever from when he was allowed out after his jabs were up to date. His problems at 41/2 were cancer not joint problems. He was a totally diffrent mix of breeds and breeds that were considerable high energy breeds.

Ollie and Dillon weren't and aren't and need careful rearing in this area and I have done enough research into the breed to know what I am doing for him and did for Ollie was correct for them.

Plus at 3 months there is no way if I took him for longer than he could manage I could carry him home.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
But what's the difference between the exercise he is getting indoors and the excercise he gets outdoors? So he gets 15 mins of walking, 15 mins of zoomies plus what another half an hour in the house = 1 hour at a time, much more than the 5 minute rule.

I'm not getting on at you or saying you are doing anything wrong, I just don't understand how bouncing about in the house isn't the same as bouncing about outside

Or why he can't play with other dogs?

I don't fancy carrying home a Bernese either!! Hehe xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-02-2012, 01:29 PM
He can play with other dogs but not rough housing.

Because he can dictate his exercise in the house and garden I am bowing out now.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
But what's the difference between the exercise he is getting indoors and the excercise he gets outdoors? So he gets 15 mins of walking, 15 mins of zoomies plus what another half an hour in the house = 1 hour at a time, much more than the 5 minute rule.
The difference is in the route home .

Getting a lot of free exercise on the field tires out a young pup. No problem with a small pup, it can be carried home, but a pup the size of a Bernese can't so would therefore be walking the 15 minutes home at a struggle. In my opinion, that 15 minute struggle walk is the dangerous one. Young joints that the dog clearly signals have had enough being forced to walk home.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >