View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I'd go to the vet, or ask the breeder which vet she saw with the puppies, and if she's legit, then she won't mind telling you will she, so you can ring them and confirm that she took the puppies in there and they got a through checking over.

Good luck, I don't have any experience of cavaliers and I can't remember about the breathing habits of my last puppy coz it was 3 years ago now. If you're concerned, you really should do something imo.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2011, 02:09 PM
the reason i say check the linage is i believe that ckcs often have a later onset of heart problems.

ie ,even a healthy pup may not be later on
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2011, 02:26 PM
MVD is the common in all breeds with older dogs. But is so prevalent in cavvies that over half of them suffer with it by the time they are 5yrs old and almost all of them by the age of 10.

I was lucky - mine did not get it until she was over 8yrs old and did not require medication for it until she was 10 as it was very mild. She did not live long after it got worse.

You should be able to check the pedigree of the dog you are buying and find out about the health of the mother dog too. My dog's pedigree went back several generations.

Quite a bit of info on this website

http://www.baywood-pets.co.uk/cavalier-info2.html

Mine had a mother who was 6 yrs old and screened MDV free (I was shown proof) and I believe they recommend that you do not breed from cavvies until they are over 2.5yrs old and had parents who were MVD free until they were 5yrs old. A lot is being done to try to reduce the incidence of the problem in cavvies, but indiscriminate breeding will make what is already a terrible problem with these dogs an even worse one.

Your asking on here says to me that you do not feel comfortable questioning the breeder and if you have any doubts about the breeder my advice would be not to buy from them.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2011, 03:12 PM
I've had Cavaliers forthe best part of 20 years & TBH smaller animals of any species hearts beat faster than larger ones, for example a shrew heart beat is around 2000 times a minute whilst heart beats in a dog can range from 50 to 130 times a minute depending on the size of the dog & that's only in a resting dog.

Add to this the fact than dogs do not have a regular heart beat pattern like humans it makes it hard for new dog owners to work out if their pet has a "normal"heart beat.

Have the parents, grandparents etc(should be a full 5 generation pedigree)all been heart tested ? Is the puppy KC registered ? If it is you can check on the pedigree by using the KC health test page if they have been heart tested-they should be done every year(along with their eye tests)& the results recorded with the KC.

A fair few puppies of any breed can have a slight murmur when young which disappears & is nothing to do with MVD
doglover_
New Member!
Female 

05-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Thank-you everyone for taking the time to reply. Yes she is kc reg so I will go and see what i can find. Out the pups mother and father were there when i visited the mother had lost a lot of hair but i was told that this is normal. I have paid a deposit and have fell in love with her which does make it harder to walk away.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2