Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Still would like to 'do something' at night with him but apart from above and his food toys, don't really know what! (there aren't any classes here at night either)
I have a similar problem, so I just bought Brain Games For Dogs by Claire Arrowsmith, which has loads of ideas, from fairly simple stuff to the more challenging. Definitely worth a look
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
I have a similar problem, so I just bought Brain Games For Dogs by Claire Arrowsmith, which has loads of ideas, from fairly simple stuff to the more challenging. Definitely worth a look
thanks! I have looked at that book before but wasn't sure if it had much more than the sort of stuff in his trick training book? (101 Dog Tricks)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Dog-Tric...d_bxgy_b_img_b

I was thinking about getting the trick workbook but I think the tricks themselves are all in the book he (get me 'he' has lol) already. It's this one here;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Tricks-T...tt_at_ep_dpt_4

so I'm not sure if the workbook pages are worth it or not, probably for kids lol
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:47 PM
We dont have time to go to the walks we use in the lighter evenings and spend the 6-8pm slot doing cos it is just too dark and unsafe underfoot and the balls and poos are a nightmare.

So we are sometimes able to go to the park behind our house which has a patchy lot of street lights but safer underfoot so we can throw balls later and sometimes fit it in a bit earlier during the week.

I then take them out on lead just out the front of the house and the square in front to practice my aims of nice loose lead/heel work and getting them leaving the house calmly, so making use of the darker nights to work on it so that by the time it gets icy and we are leaving the house with them at any time of the day i can do it without being dragged out and pulled over.

We are also trying to do a longer more varied walk on the weekends at least one end of the day if we have to go to the field at the other end of the day and a Friday morning is a great day for a nice walk as we have no little ones first thing to look after.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 05:52 PM
We tend to do the long walks during daylight hours.... Once it goes dark, we put the collars on with flashing lights and walk round the edge of the park where the street lights are....

Can't wait for spring to appear again....
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
thanks! I have looked at that book before but wasn't sure if it had much more than the sort of stuff in his trick training book? (101 Dog Tricks)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/101-Dog-Tric...d_bxgy_b_img_b
Hmm, I'd imagine the content is very similar so perhaps not what you're looking for. Mind you if you're like me you can never have too many dog books...
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 07:35 PM
I've just got the "Dog University" book from the library and it has a good array of tricks and moves to teach your dogs.

We don't tend to go out in the dark as Parker doesn't like on-lead walks much and I don't like walking over fields in the dark.

I have been practising backward weaves with Parker and I seem to have got the hang of it now!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I've just got the "Dog University" book from the library and it has a good array of tricks and moves to teach your dogs.

We don't tend to go out in the dark as Parker doesn't like on-lead walks much and I don't like walking over fields in the dark.

I have been practising backward weaves with Parker and I seem to have got the hang of it now!
sounds great you should get Jamie to film it and post it!

I wonder if I should get a HWTM book.......Loui is quite big though.....
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Due to rural living we don't have street lights or stuff like that so we now have lights right around the house and we play foot ball on the drive and I have me trusty torch should I kick the ball out of the lights

We also have a nice farmer man who clears our tracks and drive which can house about 60 cars and we can turn an artic around at the bottom of it and we play football again, the dogs love this as there are no distractions as the cats are all in

I also walk them on the track at night about a mile each way and it keeps them happy and they sleep the evening away
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post

Ive got that book too!! its ace!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6