Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Any reason you can't walk in the woods in the dark? I walk in the woods at night (along with my other local haunts). It is proper dark, sure, but I walk there all the time and know the pathways like the back of my hand.

I'd be screwed if I didn't do 'proper' walks with mine (well, with Bo -- my other two don't care!) because both walks are often in the dark at this time of the year. Lead walking alone is completely pointless for Bo as it winds her up more than it calms her down. So I don't really have a choice but to do off lead walks, be it in the woods, fields, park, etc.
yes, the reason is I cant see and it really is pitch black, so could fall over a branch, stone, slip....not worth it.
Its not just dark, its pitch black, so if I threw the ball I dont know where I'm sending him either.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I plodge around in the dark. Just going to plodge around now - though just a 20 min through the field circuit tonight - he went out at lunchtime & we both want feeding!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
well... my Tupac was last night and im grateful for it!
Not saying its a bad quality at all, something to be aware of though.

Have to admit he's gotten rid of idiots before when we've been out and I was like you, GRATEFUL! at the very least he tells me theres someone he is uncomfortable with...
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
I plodge around in the dark. Just going to plodge around now - though just a 20 min through the field circuit tonight - he went out at lunchtime & we both want feeding!
We used to have a field near us we could use but they said not to now. It was good for the winter nights too, shame.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Until I can get a light fitted in the front of the bungalow and one in The Shack, I have to be back as soon as it starts to get dark. I have an outside light by my door but nothing in the front or round the other side, and with no streetlight anywhere near my home I would not be able to see to put my scooter away.

I can only take Pereg out on the roads though as there are no lights on any of the grassy areas - and if we have had rain I would not be able to go on them in any case, but until I can get the lights fitted all outings have to finish very early.

It makes for a very very long evening.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
yes, the reason is I cant see and it really is pitch black, so could fall over a branch, stone, slip....not worth it.
Its not just dark, its pitch black, so if I threw the ball I dont know where I'm sending him either.
It is pitch black in the woods I walk in too and my eyesight isn't the best in daylight nevermind the dark. All you need is a powerful torch (although I use a head torch that isn't powerful...) and something to light the dogs up. No need for ball throwing as there should be plenty of fresh scents on the ground after dusk.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:31 PM
It is pitch black in the woods I walk in too and my eyesight isn't the best in daylight nevermind the dark. All you need is a powerful torch (although I use a head torch that isn't powerful...) and something to light the dogs up. No need for ball throwing as there should be plenty of fresh scents on the ground after dusk.
well I am going to get a Visiglo collar, he had one before and it was GREAT, the best he'd had, (the other is rubbish) until someone took him out and let him go for a dip (no it wasnt me and I wasnt happy..for a few reasons) so maybe I do need a torch too, I used LED last year but for going down there I will need more than that. Short of a floodlight, not sure what to get.

What type do you have?
I thought Maglite were good but someone on here said on their thread that they were disapointed in Maglite....
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Mine sleep when it's dark Quite happy to snuggle in be or on the sofa with you and they are set for the night They get their usual exercise, because I usually take them during the day anyway. Sometimes at night they have chews and things.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Thinking about it there's a fair amount of ambient light on my night time jaunts - usually enough to see the paths - It's all pretty even. He doesn't get the canal walk in the dark - abandoned/ derelict buildings that way give me the willies.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 12:50 PM
If it's dark AND chilly - mine's hiding under a duvet or blanket!

Isn't really an issue here because in summertime we are out well before sun up for the longish morning walk,to avoid the scorching heat then again just as it goes down - she has a midday quick trip for a pee and another before bedtime whatever the weather. This time of year she is always glad to get back inside after that late one!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Same as always when it comes to exercise. I walk them in the pitch black exactly the same as I would during daylight.

Apart from that they sleep and mooch around the house, as normal.
Same here, I'm often found in the winter months stumbling around in the dark down by the river.

And after SB's thread I'm just waiting to discover my first dead body!

It's all I can think about when I go down there now!
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >