View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 01:06 PM
The that is just it, the law is NOT an ass.

Nobody can stop people putting what they like in a will, but as I keep saying (and as stumpywop has concurred) you cannot COMPEL people to organise the euthanisation of or euthanise a dog.

Anyway those who do put such stupid things in their will are dead so they will have no say over it in any case, so who cares?

It is people who are stupid.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I find it interesting that the lady is happy to rehome the westie and not the dobe, I wonder if there is some other issue that she is concerned about that she has not mentioned.
I did wonder about that too. In your case there's two of you and God willing it won't happen that both die at the same time. Max probably would be a difficult dog to re-home, but I hope and pray that in your case such matters will never ever arise. (Gosh, I'm surprised, death is subject I hardly ever talk about )
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
In your case there's two of you and God willing it won't happen that both die at the same time. Max probably would be a difficult dog to re-home, but I hope and pray that in your case such matters will never ever arise. (Gosh, I'm surprised, death is subject I hardly ever talk about )
Yes, fingers crossed we'll be around a little bit longer. It's a tough one when you have a problematic dog. Generally speaking, the people that Max would appeal to most are the people that I would most like to keep him from... I could always send Max to you though if Dave and I were to both go at once
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 01:51 PM
It is not a decision that I would have made if I owned a sociable dog who I felt would easily be rehomed but it is the right one for Max.
This is how I feel with Rupert. The majority of people who know him in real life would absolutely NOT be prepared to take him on, he has too many issues and is too much like hard work. If those who know him and say they love him don't want him what chance does he have in rescue? My parents probably would take him rather than him be put to sleep but given that they're both disabled they're not really able to look after him properly.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The that is just it, the law is NOT an ass.

Nobody can stop people putting what they like in a will, but as I keep saying (and as stumpywop has concurred) you cannot COMPEL people to organise the euthanisation of or euthanise a dog.

Anyway those who do put such stupid things in their will are dead so they will have no say over it in any case, so who cares?

It is people who are stupid.
Hopefully the family who there loved one have placed their trust in

There are many stupid things one does in life, making sure you have taken steps for your dogs welfare is hardly one of them.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-11-2011, 02:30 PM
It is not a decision that I would have made if I owned a sociable dog who I felt would easily be rehomed but it is the right one for Max.
You and me both, shame we have been labled with the word "stupid"!
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I have been following this thread with interest, but wasn't particularly planning to say anything else after what looked like a deliberate attempt to draw me into an argument.

However, I feel I cannot ignore the following:

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I would rather be selfish, than see my girl end up in a living hell of rescue centres........

Now firstly I want to make it clear I am not looking to start a massive row here.

I don't know what your past experience of rescues has been, and I don't know if your dog is a rescue or you've had her from a pup (and either way, I'm not judging you on it, where you get your dogs from is your own choice).

What I do know is the rescues I have had experiences with whilst looking for a dog to rehome have been excellent. The dogs were well looked after and the staff really cared about them, and about making sure they got the "right" home.

I think this comment is extremely unfair to rescues, and to those of us on here who volunteer for them, raise funds for them and foster for them.

Just my opinion.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
I have been following this thread with interest, but wasn't particularly planning to say anything else after what looked like a deliberate attempt to draw me into an argument.

Now firstly I want to make it clear I am not looking to start a massive row here.

I don't know what your past experience of rescues has been, and I don't know if your dog is a rescue or you've had her from a pup (and either way, I'm not judging you on it, where you get your dogs from is your own choice).

What I do know is the rescues I have had experiences with whilst looking for a dog to rehome have been excellent. The dogs were well looked after and the staff really cared about them, and about making sure they got the "right" home.

I think this comment is extremely unfair to rescues, and to those of us on here who volunteer for them, raise funds for them and foster for them.

Just my opinion.
The living hell comment was 1) directed to my current dog, she hates being in kennels, 2) she is not a dog that would be easily rehomed, and as such would suffer a life of "living hell" confined to living in rescue.

I am not against or have any issues with rescue, there are many good ones and many dogs find loving forever homes from them.

But I don't consider a life in rescue kennels to be a good life for any dog.

BUT...... the circumstances for my decision for my present dog is based on knowing her, and her quirks.. and for her a life in kennels would be just that a "living hell".

Now she could find a good home and live her life out in it very quickly, but then again she may not , her issues may be the cause of her being passed over, or worse beign taken them brought back.

So in my opinion and given she is my dog and given I love her to bits, I will do what I feel is the best for her..(if ever it arose) and that i s, if my kids could not keep her , I have expressed my wish she be peaceably euthanized.

I am sure there are far more qualified people out there who could cope with her, but I wont take that chance.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 05:08 PM

Just my opinion.
I work with a rescue which is very good---but NOT for MY dogs. The best rescues still have dogs who bounce and dogs who stay for a long time. I won't risk the lottery.

rune
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 05:18 PM

Just my opinion.
It doesn't matter how good a rescue is, if it's a kennels type situation my dog would be shut down, frightened and miserable. He was the first time he was there, he was both times he was in kennels. It's not about the staff not caring or the dogs not being looked after or anything like that. So yes, it would be a living hell for him. It's nothing at all against rescue or those who work for them.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >