View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 01:43 PM
This is interesting. I've asked for family to look after Loki in my will. I've not really thought about if they didn't; however, I'm not sure if anyone else would have him, with the epilepsy and associated problems. He'd hate being kennelled in rescue kennels.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
There are fates worse than death imo.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 02:30 PM
I am utterly appalled that any so-called dog-lover would put such a provision in their will.

How totally selfish of her to even contemplate, let alone take action to state such a thing. Why on earth would she want a healthy dog PTS after her death 'in case' it mourns her after she's gone? Surely it would be much better to give the poor dog a chance of a new home in it's last stage of life, rather than cut it's life short so cruelly?

It beggars belief that does, I simply cannot understand that at all. My only hope is that she outlives the dog and this never has to pass
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
There are fates worse than death imo.
Indeed.

For one of my dogs I am his fifth owner. Me dying would be the only thing that stops me being the last. I'm lucky that I have family who are dog owners, know mine well and would take them if anything happened to me but the thought of them ending up in an awful situation after I'm gone is unbearable. I'm only young but that doesn't mean much sadly.

There's no way my dogs will be going back into the rescue system. No amount of screening can ensure they'll be as well cared for and loved as they are with me, they could end up in any kind of situation with any kind of person, once you hand them over you have no idea what their future holds. Going to sleep painlessly is a million times better than what happens to lots of dogs in this country.
bullylurchers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Call me selfish, call me whatever you will, if i died then so would my dogs have to. My dogs are my responsibility and what i do with them is also my responsibility. I don't see how it's cruel or selfish, dogs aren't human, once we are gone we are gone.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 06:22 PM
i am a bit on the fence, however I don't think I would want to pass on Bruno at the age he is with his dog aggression issues and health issues, its difficult enough to home a healthy non aggressive staffie but to start with an 11 yr old dog aggressive with bad hips and athritis.. NO if we all went and there was no one to look after him then i would prefer he was PTS tbh.

BUt if it was a young healthy dog with no real issues I think thats different.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Speaking generally, I feel this is one of those "it depends" situations.

If an owner has friends/family or others for their beloved dog to go to, that's fantastic.

But what if the owner dies, with no-one they trust who can take their dog? Many dogs are found wonderful homes by rescues, and end up with oldie homes where they are loved and cared for as much as or even more than before... but then, some dogs end up with owners who are harsh, do not care for them physically, pay for vets, etc etc etc...

This might be a very real worry for some owners and I can quite understand that. So I can see why some might prefer PTS as an option.

Wys
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have left it to Tassles discretion and said that if she thinks any should be pts that is fine with me.

I don't want them doing any rounds and nor do I want her to think she should have to keep them.

rune

The point is it is not LEGALLY enforceable. And if you really feel your dogs would be better off dead when you are, is it really fair to give somebody ELSE that responsibility and burden?

I would never do that to anyone, I have made provision in my will (which the relevant people know and have agreed to) for my dogs if I die.

They have been given the responsibility of taking care of the dogs in whatever way they think best.

I certainly would NOT say "when I die you must take them to the vet and have them euthanised no matter what your personal opinion".

What a ghastly thing to do to one's friends.

Yes there are worse things than being PTS but there are better things too.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I took my bunny to vets today for an annual vaccination and check up and was gonna ask where he stood on this issue but completely slipped my mind.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Does not really matter what the vet thinks though does it if the person/people responsible for carrying out your wishes decline to take the animal to the vet to be killed?

So when you die you need someone who agrees with you, who will not change their mind and who can find a vet who will do the deed.

IT will probably not be a problem if you have a DA arthritic, incontinent dog though.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >