Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No because the situation is entirely different.

The dogs who are put down are either ill, dangerous, not rehomable or have just run out of time that is allocated to that dog/rescue.

It is not the same at all.

So if the old lady had a daughter and she was the executor or the heiress and she did not agree with the old lady, nobody could FORCE her to hand over the dog for destruction.

I think smokyrabbit has made a very good point, why is it different for a healthy "privately" owned dog to be protected by this law, yet a "recue" healthy dog is not.

You could argue that anyone who put a healthy dog to sleep would be in breach of the act?

Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
Cannot understand any dog owner who would put this in their will. I hope whoever is her executor is a big dog lover and will not carry this out.

Well its in my will for my current dog, if my kids found they could not cope with her, they are to have her PTS, under no circumstances is she to go to rescue or be passed on.

You can call me selfish if you like, I wont lose sleep over it, my concern is for my girl, and selfishly I wont put her in the position of ever ending up doing the rounds or not ever finding a home.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I have left it to Tassles discretion and said that if she thinks any should be pts that is fine with me.

I don't want them doing any rounds and nor do I want her to think she should have to keep them.

rune
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I have heard of this provision being made in Wills before. I can understand it in certain circumstances, but wouldn't put it in my own Will - as hopefully my husband or son would have my dogs if something were to happen to me.

I would have thought that if it were in the Will of a deceased person then it could be enforceable - because aren't dogs just classed as someone's "property" such as a car?
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 10:00 AM
its just a thing i really do not understand.

an extreme comparison, if it was a child, would you wish them euthanised (if such a thing was ever allowed) so they wouldn't end up doing the rounds in foster or care homes.

Maybe its different for people that raise their animal from pups. Maddie was a rescue, i have complete faith in her rescue that she would be properly rehomed.
http://www.german-shepherd-rescue-sc...are_scheme.htm
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I'd rather Rupert be put to sleep than go to a shelter. I'd prefer him to go to a good home if possible but there aren't enough homes out there for young, healthy dogs with no issues let alone an older dog with severe fear issues, dog aggression, a tendency to chase and kill anything non human he can find and the possibility of aggression towards children. He was in the shelter 4 months as an adolescent, god only knows how long he'd be there as a senior with known issues.

My hubby would keep him if possible but if I died and we had no children he'd be unable to do so, no dogs allowed in the block. My parents aren't able to cope with him and I certainly wouldn't trust any of my real life friends to take him! He'd end up shut in one room most of the time, rarely walked or played with and fed Bakers.

If a good rescue could take him, foster him etc then that would be fine by me but, honestly, I'd rather see him dead than spending months or years shut down and frightened in a shelter environment.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I recall many years ago a breeder I had got puppies from told me she had done this and I was shocked. No matter how devoted my dogs had been to me I would have been pretty sure with love,food and walks they would settle with some one else if I wasnt here any more. However,now in the small hours when I cannot sleep I sometimes go down the road what if something happens to me? I adore my boy but as a brain damaged dog he is hard work to say the least especially away from the house,50% of our walks I come home in tears. He has a cyst on the brain which I think of as a ticking bomb so I do not expect any-one to want to take him on. I would sooner he be pts rather than spend his days circling in a kennel.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Mmm.

Young healthy dog - if no willing relatives I'd expect the same treatment as any other homeless hound. Elderly or challenged dog & no willing relatives pts might be kinder?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Responsible thing to do totally.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I was told the other year I might die, and I told Isochick if she couldn't look after Teagan if I died, then I wanted to her PTS.
She had too many problems with health and agression to be put in rescue or passed to someone who didn't know her.
Call me selfish, I don't care.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I can see her thinking in some ways she is sensible because the likely hood of an old doberman finding a good home are slim but even so to condem a perfectly healthy dog to a death sentence is a bit on the selfish side 0.o
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »