View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 12:06 AM

Does a will have to be followed exactly to a persons wishes?

Hi just a quick question i was walking in our woods some time back and got talking to an active lady 70+ a fellow dog walker, she has a westie and a doberman but something she said set alarm bells ringing with me and i pray it can't happen, ok dogs are healthy and middle aged and owner is healthy, but she said to me she has written in her will when she dies she wants her doberman pts even if his healthy and has a good quality of life, his the friendliest dog you can meet even off lead but shes ok to set up rehoming provisions for the westie, but as doberman has only ever known her shes requested his pts when she dies as fears he will die of a broken heart anyway in a new home. Can a vet or relative override her decision as was made when was of sound mind if she does ever become ill and pass on or does a happy healthy dog have to be destroyed as a will is a legal document and those were owners wishes?
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 12:09 AM
I dunno if it's something that can legally be enforced or whether you can get around it but if the Dobe is young, healthy and of a good temperament I'd imagine they'd be hard pushed to find a vet that would actually put him down.

I know she's an elderly lady but it sounds incredibly selfish if you ask me..
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I dunno if it's something that can legally be enforced or whether you can get around it but if the Dobe is young, healthy and of a good temperament I'd imagine they'd be hard pushed to find a vet that would actually put him down.

I know she's an elderly lady but it sounds incredibly selfish if you ask me..
I,ve not seen her around for a few weeks probably just walking different times, what i want to know is can it be legally enforced as i dont think it can, dont vets take an oath of not putting a healthy animal to sleep if animals of a good nature, but then again i am not sure must be some that would do it as thousands of healthy dogs are destroyed every year due to overcrowding in rescue centres.Its been playing on my mind and every one i ve asked doesnt think it can be enforced.
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 12:21 AM
I had an argument with my dad about this,it wasn't in his will but he wanted his dog PTS when he died.

I would not have let it happen,I would have taken her,but fortunately it never came to that as my dad has outlived Bambi.

But I would not have hesitated in going against his selfish wishes.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
I,ve not seen her around for a few weeks probably just walking different times, what i want to know is can it be legally enforced as i dont think it can, dont vets take an oath of not putting a healthy animal to sleep if animals of a good nature, but then again i am not sure must be some that would do it as thousands of healthy dogs are destroyed every year due to overcrowding in rescue centres.Its been playing on my mind and every one i ve asked doesnt think it can be enforced.
Legally I don't think it could be enforced because of the animal being a living, breathing creature. It would probably be more of a 'When I die I would like this to happen' rather than a 'When I die, this is legally to happen' thing..

And I'm pretty certain vets don't take an oath but I'm pretty sure that most vets wouldn't agree to this sort of thing
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 12:55 AM
In short it is not legally enforcible and of course would be in breach of the Animal Welfare Act.

Thank goodness.

I find the ego of some owners unbelievable.
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
In short it is not legally enforcible and of course would be in breach of the Animal Welfare Act.

Thank goodness.

I find the ego of some owners unbelievable.
if what you say is true and it isnt enforceable, dont the thousands of unwanted animals also get covered by this act.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by SmokeyRabbit View Post
if what you say is true and it isnt enforceable, dont the thousands of unwanted animals also get covered by this act.

No because the situation is entirely different.

The dogs who are put down are either ill, dangerous, not rehomable or have just run out of time that is allocated to that dog/rescue.

It is not the same at all.

So if the old lady had a daughter and she was the executor or the heiress and she did not agree with the old lady, nobody could FORCE her to hand over the dog for destruction.
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 08:55 AM
I've heard folk say this sort of thing before. I do think its completely selfish. If we expire before Maddie does, I want her to go to another loving home. I certainly wouldn't condemn her to die with me.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Cannot understand any dog owner who would put this in their will. I hope whoever is her executor is a big dog lover and will not carry this out.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »