Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Sad thread, poor dog!

I don't really know anything about wolf crosses! And to be honest I don't really understand why anyone would want a dog crossed with a Wolf - if you want a dog get a dog! (probably going to get everyone moaning at me now)

And if you DO have a wolf cross you should respect they are more likely to follow there Wolf instincts and not respond to a recall - therefore only exercising them in safe areas (I have read before you live near sheep) or keeping them on a lead, yes a lead! Or spend months/years (not just 6 months) trying to establish an effective way of building trust between you and the dog and carrying out humane training methods i.e. no e-collar! SHOCKING!!! (no pun intended)
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I really think the main problem here is the Gnasher has no real interest in entering into a civilised conversation/ debate.

She is posting for shock value, and is getting an adrenaline rush every time anyone responds.

The only solution is to

A. not respond.
B. give her an electric shock every time she posts something provoking.

Now, I know, some of you may not agree with that, and I have no idea, but my OH swears by it.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-03-2011, 07:26 AM
Krlyr - I would have to put my hubby on here to talk about the workings of an e collar, I really cannot act as a go-between because I do not understand what either side is saying - obviously a cardinal sin on here, not being able to understand something.

So you admit you do not understand the workings of an e-collar but you allow someone to put one on your dog who you supposedly love.

As much as I love and trust my OH there is no way he would of gone near any dog of mine with such a contraption wthout me researching it and understandng it thoroughly too. I just do not understand you sorry Gnasher.

Do you do everything your OH says ? If he told you to put it on or to put it on your daughter would you ? If you felt you would would you research and understand it first before applying it to yourself or your daughter as it means giving electric shocks would you not want to know it was safe to use ?

If the answer is yes to these questions why do you trust him to use it on Ben (a dog) why is that acceptable without you researching it further before allowing your OH to use it on your dog who you say you love ?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 10:10 AM
AmyH-Cornwall.... what Gnashers dog is exhibiting is sibe/mal traits not wolf cross traits

my dog that DOES have wolfblood has a blinding recall

mind u, even he gets trained...daily!!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:12 PM
OK, I haven't got time to read back through all the replies since I last came on, but thanks very much to you all who have posted. I will read through them tomorrow at work in my lunchbreak.

I just had to pop on quickly tonight to say what a blindingly amazingly brilliant day we have today with Ben. I will try and take you through exactly what happened on the walk this morning - the afternoon walk, OH had to do on his own because I had to go and see my parents.

We set off round the fields at the back of our garden, all 3 dogs, me and hubby. Ben wearing his e collar. We approached the garden that sometimes has a spaniel in it, and Ben used to run up and down the fence barking at the spaniel, and the spaniel used to run up and down from inside the garden. This time, I called Ben to come, and he did, I was so pleased with him. We carried on, the dogs ran on ahead sniffing around having a good time. We went down the hill towards the badger sett, and Ben loves to go and stick his down the holes to see what he can find. No harm in itself, but he often then gets mites on his muzzle which he can pass on to the cat and Gucci, for some reason Tai doesn't get them. Again, I called him and whistled, and back he came. We carried on up round the big field with him and Tai moseying about chasing each other, and generally playing around, and Gucci just doing his thing sniffing about in the ditch. We came to the gap in the hedge and usually Ben will go charging through there ahead of us. Again, we stopped and I called him, and he came. This was absolutely brilliant I thought, I was so pleased with him, because over the last week or so OH has had to use the vibration setting on the collar to remind him that he has to come when he is called. We carried on and reached the back of another garden where he used to go through a gap and either flop into their pond, or run around with their labrador. Again, he came away with absolutely no correction whatsoever. We carried on past the chicken runs where he and Tai sometimes run up to the fence to scare the chickens. I had Tai on the lead, and Ben walked past as serene as you like.

He was SUCH a good boy, I am so proud of him. And then, when I got back from seeing my parents, OH tells me that when he took them out this afternoon, unbeknown to him round the corner on the other side of the field, all the chickens had escaped from the back of a neighbour's garden and were spread out all over the set aside! Luckily Mike managed to grab Tai and put him on the lead before Tai spotted them, but Ben espied them and broke into a run. Mike called and whistled, but he kept on going. He was just about to press the vibrate button, when Ben suddenly stopped, turned round and CAME BACK!! How good is that!! I am so pleased with him.

This has been the best day ever, the dog has been an absolute star, and what's more, he and Tai are spending much more time together on walks, rather than going their own separate ways. They sniff smells together, play together with sticks, much more than they used to do. There just seems to be more harmony and cohesion in our little pack. Certainly the tension in the bedroom that used to exist is non-existent now. Tai this morning went round to Ben's side of the bed where he sleeps by the door and gave him a few licks on his head, and frequently when I get up to go to the loo in the night the two dogs are stretched out touching each other.

I am so pleased I could cry!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:16 PM
good for you
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:19 PM
No not at all, good for Ben!! He is so clever@!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:24 PM
"" what happened on the walk this morning - the afternoon walk, OH had to do on his own because I had to go and see my parents.

Ben used to run up and down the fence barking at the spaniel,

Mike called and whistled, but he kept on going. He was just about to press the vibrate button, when Ben suddenly stopped, turned round and CAME BACK!! How good is that!!

play together with sticks, "

A few choice highlights from todays blog that id like to pick up on.

You spend all week working/dumping your dogs on your hubby, then go off again on the weekend,Are these YOUR dogs or your husbands? You spend r little time with them imo. Why didnt yopu take them with you & enjoyu a walk together on the way back?

You allow your dog in the past to run up to peoples gardens & agiitate their dogs. DISGUSTING, but no better than idexpect from someone with your standards.

He ignored the call/whistle & for some reason came back. Good? abit rubbish id say.

Finally "STICK TO TOYS" (its a website)
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:26 PM
And you put ALL this new behaviour down to 2 zaps of the e-collar. You are delusional.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2011, 07:30 PM
TBH who knows how many times Hubby is using it, he could be doing anything with "his" dogs
Closed Thread
Page 16 of 47 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »