Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by paulandfloyd View Post
Why don't they...?
They have strong working instincts, often too much for inexperienced people to deal with.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by ronnie View Post
borders do make good pets, if you leave them in all day and go to work they wreck the place. they need lots of exercise I waited till I retired before I even considered a B.C. Why people buy working dogs in the first place if they are out at work all day is stupid, its actually cruel in my eyes. they dont make good pets in the wrong hands like all dogs if they dont have any form of training.
Are you talking Collies or Terriers? Im talking Terriers. Similar points apply to both though.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Hmmm dont know about the kennel club but my local pet shop notice board is mostly full of Staffies particularly ones who will be 'really big boned' 'blue or Irish red' or 'mum was part mastiff so pups will be large'.

Fewer rottweillers but more rottie mixes on the boards... Particularly shepherd rottie mixes... Then a tonne of doodles, sprockers and shizhu mixes...

Very few husky or mal types round here still, but the number is growing definitely... Only ever heard of one NI, never met it. Owner wont take it out cos she 'doesn't trust it' so she leaves it at home as a guard dog and brings her other dog, a white shepherd to the field.. and yes.. we've all tried to talk to her till we're blue in the face.. Wish I knew where she lived... But only ever see her on the field and then only ever in good weather...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The HV is a breed that has been rising in popularity for a few yrs now, nothing to do with Yogi, but sadly with this comes very poor breeding, you are getting some very funny looking HV around today, along with "iffy " temperaments.

I can remember about 9 yrs ago, when my friend was showing hers, you would get about 3/4/6 in a class, nowadays you will see classes of up to 25 plus

That is not good for any breed.

Luckily the Wire haired are not as popular, but still see a rise in numbers there.
Mainly because they've not been around as long. However now they are no longer classed as a rare breed and have been granted champion status I have a horrible feeling this will change.

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Christ no....Want a clever dog - get a spaniel!!

ETA - a lovely Gundog trainer once told me that a Lab enters the world 1/2 trained and a Springer leaves the world 1/2 trained!
And that's if you're lucky!

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Same here, within the last year. A worrying trend given the people at the end of the lead.

Spaniels seem to be the 'in' dog with families around here. I see often see them walking them as puppies and then never see them again.
I think the main problem with Spaniels is they're irresistible as puppies. Don't get me wrong, all puppies are cute, it just seems Spaniels have this smooshiness about them as puppies! Perhaps it's just me?!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Husky's, Mals, those sorts of type round here. EVERYWHERE! And bull breed types but its always been that way. But I literally see northern types everywhere
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Tassle - does that mean Louie's trained? he's part lab and springer

I see more mutts than anything and SBT's and close 3rd would be shih tzu's and Lhasa's
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Seem to be a lot of Shar Peis needing homes from the adverts I see. Surprising when you think how much they cost as puppies but I guess it may be because of the health problems endemic in the breed?
lwatson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:36 PM
I was quite surprised to see that YT are higher than Bichions as I see more Bichions around and more advertised for sale than YT these days or maybe its just where I live.

OH agrees with the comment about Borders and working. My sis in law is about to get another BT (already has one who is 3 and a YT who is 5 going on 15). OH doesn't understand why she is having another if she is not intending on working them.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:41 PM
my area is full of staffies
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6