View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 08:21 AM
I received this reply from Ofcom today. Obviously a standard reply so we'll have to wait for the outcome.

'Thank you for contacting Ofcom. Your views are important to us as they help to ensure broadcasters follow the rules set out in our codes. These codes set standards for all programmes on TV and radio.

We understand that sometimes people see something on TV, or hear a programme on radio, which they think is offensive or inappropriate, and they want to complain to us about it.

Ofcom assesses each complaint it receives to decide whether it raises a potential issue under its codes.

If your complaint does raise a potential issue, we will start an investigation. Once that’s concluded, we’ll write to you to let you know of our decision. However, if we’ve received a very high number of complaints about a particular programme, it may not be possible for us to write to each complainant individually with the outcome of our investigation.

If your complaint doesn’t raise potential issues under the codes, Ofcom will not normally write back to you.

However, whether or not we believe an investigation is required, please be assured that your comments and feedback are always considered, and all our decisions are published in the Broadcast Bulletin.

Ofcom publishes its Broadcast Bulletin, every fortnight, on this website. This includes the latest decisions about the complaints we’ve received.

If you would like to find out more, you can read:

• issues of the Broadcast Bulletin at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/obb/prog_cb/;
• our Consumer Guide at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/files/2009/12/tvcomplaints.pdf;
• our procedures for investigating standards cases http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/guida...standards.pdf; or
• our procedures for investigating fairness and privacy cases http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/guidance/fairness/fairness.pdf'
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
I received this reply from Ofcom today. Obviously a standard reply so we'll have to wait for the outcome.

'Thank you for contacting Ofcom. Your views are important to us as they help to ensure broadcasters follow the rules set out in our codes. These codes set standards for all programmes on TV and radio.

We understand that sometimes people see something on TV, or hear a programme on radio, which they think is offensive or inappropriate, and they want to complain to us about it.

Ofcom assesses each complaint it receives to decide whether it raises a potential issue under its codes.

If your complaint does raise a potential issue, we will start an investigation. Once that’s concluded, we’ll write to you to let you know of our decision. However, if we’ve received a very high number of complaints about a particular programme, it may not be possible for us to write to each complainant individually with the outcome of our investigation.

If your complaint doesn’t raise potential issues under the codes, Ofcom will not normally write back to you.

However, whether or not we believe an investigation is required, please be assured that your comments and feedback are always considered, and all our decisions are published in the Broadcast Bulletin.

Ofcom publishes its Broadcast Bulletin, every fortnight, on this website. This includes the latest decisions about the complaints we’ve received.

If you would like to find out more, you can read:

• issues of the Broadcast Bulletin at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/obb/prog_cb/;
• our Consumer Guide at: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/files/2009/12/tvcomplaints.pdf;
• our procedures for investigating standards cases http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/guida...standards.pdf; or
• our procedures for investigating fairness and privacy cases http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/guidance/fairness/fairness.pdf'
Yes, the bog standard automated replies. Let's see if they get back to us. They bloody well should.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-04-2010, 10:44 AM
yep i got the automated reply too, couldn't find on their website where to see complaints though?
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Here's my response from ITV:

Dear Mr McMechan,

Thank you for your concerns regarding the use of dogs in The Door.

We would like to reassure you that only experienced specially-trained animals were used and these were supplied by a reputable company that the production company had used before. This company has been trading for twenty years and are the biggest in the country, they are government registered for protection and guard duties.

The dogs are specially trained to bark by hand signals and verbal commands. The cages used during filming are similar to the dogs own travel cages as required when they are transported. At all times on set each dog was supervised by its own handler throughout the filming to ensure that they were correctly and responsibly treated during the recording of the programme and that no dog was in its cage for more than half an hour at a time. Prior to recording the production team consulted both the handlers and vets over the use of the dogs in this sequence and after filming the handlers were fully satisfied with the way the filming was conducted.

We realise that the use of animals within television programmes is a highly sensitive area for our audience and I hope that this explanation of the steps taken to ensure the dog's welfare has demonstrated that we take our responsibility as a broadcaster with the upmost seriousness.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us and hope that this did not spoil your enjoyment of the show too much.

Regards,

ITV VIEWER SERVICES - SG
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2010, 05:02 PM
They really have missed the point, haven`t they?
This is not a Drama - the dogs are presented as `savage` and likely to bite....and that is what the GP sees. So prejudice is reinforced.
Plonkers.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-04-2010, 07:35 PM
wonder what OFCOM will say
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
They really have missed the point, haven`t they?
This is not a Drama - the dogs are presented as `savage` and likely to bite....and that is what the GP sees. So prejudice is reinforced.
Plonkers.
You are so right Claire - I have printed off the reply the company sent to Mr. McMechan and also that interview to Digitalspy where one of the presenters admits it's a new low for 'reality TV' shows

It matters not that some dog handlers have OK'd the conditions and it matters not that the contestants are doing this for charity.

What matters is that this has given entirely the wrong image to Joe Public of what dogs are like when we all know on here that dogs reflect the owners love and care or lack of such love and care.

I'm going to take a slightly different approach in my contact with the company. It will probably have little effect but we shall see.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 08:51 AM
I got this reply, think it was a automated reply, and not just because its the same one as posted earlier, my name was also underlined like it had been put in automatically.

Thank you for your concerns regarding the use of dogs in The Door.

We would like to reassure you that only experienced specially-trained animals were used and these were supplied by a reputable company that the production company had used before. This company has been trading for twenty years and are the biggest in the country, they are government registered for protection and guard duties.

The dogs are specially trained to bark by hand signals and verbal commands. The cages used during filming are similar to the dogs own travel cages as required when they are transported. At all times on set each dog was supervised by its own handler throughout the filming to ensure that they were correctly and responsibly treated during the recording of the programme and that no dog was in its cage for more than half an hour at a time. Prior to recording the production team consulted both the handlers and vets over the use of the dogs in this sequence and after filming the handlers were fully satisfied with the way the filming was conducted.

We realise that the use of animals within television programmes is a highly sensitive area for our audience and I hope that this explanation of the steps taken to ensure the dog's welfare has demonstrated that we take our responsibility as a broadcaster with the upmost seriousness.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to contact us and hope that this did not spoil your enjoyment of the show too much.

Regards,

ITV VIEWER SERVICES - jh
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 09:16 AM
I received that reply too. They really have missed the point haven't they.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6