Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
LOL guys, well you've all cheered me up if nothing else, at least I'm not alone ;o) I guess really this is our first autumn/winter as he was only a baby back then so we scooped him up and plonked him in a bucket of warm soapy water. Life seemed much simpler then!

Woody always has that ''damp'' smell under his ears, as if it never really dries. Ewwww.

Lizzy, I just passed out at the thought of 4!!

Max, how do you hose them then dry them? Just tie them to the table and give them a quick burst? I wonder if this might be my best plan. Alternatively, I might get a sheep dip installed at the front of the house and run him through it on the way in ;o)
They are so used to being washed they just follow me to the hose and stand still while I squirt off the muck which runs off like a thick brown river!. They're not keen but they really love being rubbed dry all over with a towel (even when they are dry!!) which seems to make it all worthwhile. You can get Woody used to it by starting off with a trickle and just washing his feet then gradually build up to a full undercarriage jetwash. You will notice how your dog towels and house benefit from leaving most of the muck outside!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
..shock horror !
I nearly chose a white kitchen but decided on pine instead because it blends in well with mud
It isn't my choice was there when we moved in, and as its in offensive and is not falling apart, just never got round to replacing it
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I love that smell though!!!
Me too! Which is just as well because just as my shaggy ESS is really dry and the smell has gone it's time to go for our next walk!! He got some of his genes from the same place as Cosmo, so staying clean and dry is not an option.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Some friends had Berneses. They took 2 days to dry.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Some friends had Berneses. They took 2 days to dry.
A rubber suit with elasticated wrists for bad weather then?
Freysterdewdrop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I invested in brown carpets, money well spent x
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 07:26 PM
If Selkie gets proper wet she takes days to dry and if it's damp weather she may not dry at all... In her old age I avoid taking her out in the rain. It's not worth it, she gets so damp and uncomfortable. ... Pharaoh won't go out in the rain and will crouch in the doorway and cry if I try to make him... I solved the problem of him tiddling on the carpet by putting up a parasol umbrella in the garden... Yes my dog has an outhouse!

Kismet so far has shown no signs of either problem, she is an all weather dog!

As for my house... I gave up White kitchen, but it's a dog free zone, the only dog free zone in the house... oddly doesn't stop the dog hair in the dinner though!
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Hamish is the same - would find water in a drought to roll in on a walk - the muddier the better. But send him out in the garden when it's raining and he comes back in! Will only go if once of us is out with him! Spaniels are nuts

Deedee xx
clueless101
New Member!
Female 

13-11-2009, 07:41 PM
poppy gets mud stuck to her belly when its wet and has to be shut into the kitchen whilst someone brave gets the towels out, she hates towels and tries to run away but she wouldn't be aloud in the rest of the house if she was dirty.

Both of mine also hate going out first thing in the morning, we have to shut all the doors to rooms with carpets until both dogs have done their business. i also normally end up in the garden just to get them out
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I'm here!!!!

Okay...with two FCRs I don't wear white clothes very often for a start, not with their hairs. My poor son has to wear white shirts to school but I try hard to de hair them...not that it helps that he has to give the doglets a cuddle before he goes.

Now then, the mud.
Oh my.
Cosmo comes in from a walk and is VERY happy. FCRs are somewhat reknowned for their tail action...so as soon as he comes into the porch, there is mud everywhere, all over us (well more than there was already) and big muddy tail marks all over the walls/door and windows (and Tango who isn't best pleased about it). This is aside from the mud that sort of gloops off him onto the floor. We take him straight into the kitchen where we wipe him over. We use those orange clothes that you are supposed to wet. We have many. We have one rinsing as one is being used to wipe him over, he lOVES it...cue moving, wet muddy FCR wagging his tail and moaning loudly in pleasure. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes of rinsing the cloth and wiping to get the worst off. The rest sort of falls off wherever he lies when he dries. I brush him when he's dry too. I tend to confine him to the kitchen if he is really bad until he is dry.

My walls are now all washable. We have washable hard flooring in all but one room dopwnstairs, the carpet in the other room is ancient and manky and nothing to get precious about.

I hoover and mop on a daily basis (if it is wet and yuk I have learned, through experience, to do it AFTER my mud magnet is back from his long walk and dry. My walls are wiped down in the porch/hall and kitchen at least weekly.

It is a full time job keeping on top of the mud. I look like a scarecrow a lot of the time, as does OH, but I don't care. I am not very house proud. My house is clean and I am told it doesn't smell of dog at all...but if there is the odd mark here and there..
I am lucky to have two quite large reception rooms...which means one is kept tidy during the day and in the evening we all go in to relax. It has no kid or dog toys in there...well not til around 7pm most nights anyway, then it does. It's nice to keep a room cleanish ready to slob in at night.Don't get me wrong I am not bothered too much by that room either...the dogs are on the sofas etc with us...I just like to keep it closed up until the evening. The other room is multi purpose and we sit in the kitchen a lot (which is why Cosmo doesn't mind drying in there).

Ooooo I've gone on.
Living with a mud magnet can be hard...but I wouldn't have it any other way. I love him for what he is and I am really not the worlds most houseproud person anyway. Yes, my house is clean...but thats it...there are more important things to do than tidy and keep everywhere spotless. I am not one of life's fashionable people either...muddy jeans/walking boots and raincoat with dog slobber on are my normal attire. If I was houseproud or fashion proud (if you see what I mean) I wouldn't have got the dog I did!!!!!

I also go through at least one hoover a year thanks to the hair/mud/water.....

I've wondered what it must be like for you!! I guess most of the year round with Cosmo rather than just winter though eh
I like the wet doggie smell too, it's a bit like that nice baby smell on your shoulder (those who have had babies know what I mean )
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >