View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2009, 05:43 PM
I usually walk 4 whippets together but have on 1 occasion walked 6 together. They walk on coupling chains in pairs they all walk quietly by my side anyway but normally stick to the 4.

I wouldn't free run 6 together as t gets a bit naic with them when they are all charging round like loonies
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I can walk all of mine on short traffic leads with couplers but hardly ever feel the need to. I usually only walk them off lead at the woods which we get to by car, so no call for walking them all on lead together. I can and do comfortably walk the 3 Dobies on one lead with coupler connections. I don't think my size 5'3" is the issue so much as how well trained the dogs are.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I can walk all of mine on short traffic leads with couplers but hardly ever feel the need to. I usually only walk them off lead at the woods which we get to by car, so no call for walking them all on lead together. I can and do comfortably walk the 3 Dobies on one lead with coupler connections. I don't think my size 5'3" is the issue so much as how well trained the dogs are.
yeah i agreee

but - i do believe that dogs may just go no matter how well trained they are....or see something and tank/have a go whetever

no dogs perfect and my point about this particular woman as an example was just 3 huge, powerful breeds decide to go - woman goes too - probably dogs under a car etc....

i just think that in particular for her was a bad call.....
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Katie23 View Post
yeah i agreee

but - i do believe that dogs may just go no matter how well trained they are....or see something and tank/have a go whetever

no dogs perfect and my point about this particular woman as an example was just 3 huge, powerful breeds decide to go - woman goes too - probably dogs under a car etc....

but you do not know her dogs
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:01 PM
im just going off potential strength off the dogs.... if they wanted to go she has no chance in he111 off holding on - on a main road... that was my point. (a very busy main road at that)
over fields that s different story.
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:02 PM
I walk my two quite comfortably on leads and have managed my mum's Beardie as well with no problem, but they are all well behaved on the lead. Harvey can pull me but only backwards when a particularly nice scent has caught his nose as he walked by but that is rarely as he knows now that I don't appreciate my arm being pulled out of its socket. I really think it all depends on the dogs and the owner.

It doesn't matter if they are large dogs or not, just how well behaved they are and how well you know your dogs.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2009, 06:06 PM
yeah i agreee

No I don't think all dogs will just go no matter how well trained they are. We were waiting to cross a very busy road once, as a lorry stopped quite abruptly with air brakes screeching hissing (whatever noise it is they make) right in front of us. Rio pulled her head back and slipped her collar, moved back slightly but still sat and waited until told to cross. I simply put her collar back over her head and continued as normal after tightening it a bit. Apart from that they never react to other dogs, cats, cars, noises etc. yeah collectively they could flatten me if they caught me unawares but they could do that individually too, they could but they don't. Collectively the Dobies weigh in at about 115kgs. which is considerably more than me.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:07 PM
with a dog like jake, who pulls a lot and isnt best behaved on the lead, i would only walk him by himself. im working on his behaviour though.

my old dog, sam, was so calm and well behaved though, that i would easily have walked 4 dogs like him.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:08 PM
im just going off potential strength off the dogs.... if they wanted to go she has no chance in he111 off holding on - on a main road... that was my point. (a very busy main road at that)
over fields that s different story.
i do see what your saying,but if you go by that ,not many women would be taking one large breed dog out on its own,because as you say if a dog wants to go it will go,but you have to take onboard the individual dogs in question,i would not take certain combinations of my dogs out together,because i know them and my own limitations,that said my largest breed dog is one that i would take out with any of the others,and that can bump the number up
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 06:13 PM
ok take the whole 'i know my dog' out the equasion

would you walk the listed breeds together?

what if those dogs 'did one'?

wolud you not call it borderline stupid?

im not after an argument here... just views so no-one jump on me
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »