Pet Dog.

Working dog.

Show Dog.

SAME DOG!!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Providing the breed standard for show a dog includes the attributes that have proven to be best for the real working dog then I think one breed standard is what's required.

If the breed standard pulls the show dog away from the requirements of the working strain then those who breed for working will just do so out with the breed standard.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Exactly

Mick
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Nice one mick!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Pet Dog.

Working dog.

Show Dog.

SAME DOG!!
And a great pity there weren't more out there BD! Gorgeous to see beauty and brains at work!

I for one, would love to see a working qualification attached to EVERY breed in the working group. So that they weren't allowed to gain full qualification unless they pass the working part of the test. I feel it is in day-dream land, but we can but hope one day it will be realized.

I feel that a Champ dog in the Working Group is only half a Champ until their working ability is proven.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
And a great pity there weren't more out there BD! Gorgeous to see beauty and brains at work!

I for one, would love to see a working qualification attached to EVERY breed in the working group. So that they weren't allowed to gain full qualification unless they pass the working part of the test. I feel it is in day-dream land, but we can but hope one day it will be realized.

I feel that a Champ dog in the Working Group is only half a Champ until their working ability is proven.
Thanks Anne Marie, I think you mean something like in Gundgs? A Show Champion means just in the ring and Champion means in the ring and a field qualification. Likewise a gundog in the field can become a Field Trial Champion. I think Collies have the "sh" bit too.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Yes I did mean that, sorry could have put it clearer (to be fair I'd had wine last night lol )
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-01-2009, 09:24 AM

I agree! I would love to see a working qualification introduced for UK sled dogs, but it would need to be more appropriate than a 3 mile dash round a trail - maybe 30 miles in a day in harness?

Mick
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 09:30 AM
How about an alternative suggestion? Wouldn`t it be just great if Show classes included a test for Working / Pastoral breeds to show they were capable of doing what they`re bred for?
Imagine the Poodles - retrieve from water!
Those beautifuly coiffed American Cockers - find & retrieve in thick cover!
Oh Yes - I for one would pay good money to see that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Yes I did mean that, sorry could have put it clearer (to be fair I'd had wine last night lol )
No, you did make it clear, I understood perfectly.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »