View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2011, 11:13 PM
my boys had butchers since he was a pup no problems sometimes mix in winalot shapes, james wellbeloved and wagg.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Butchers Tripe (and only the tripe one, not the 'mixed' ones), is the only tinned food my grandma will give hers. She used to give them raw food many years ago, and has told me in detail about the smell of tripe stinking out her kitchen! These days, she doesnt have time for such food prep for the dogs (and she only had one, instead of the 10 or so she used to have) so gives them this instead, with dry food, but I dont know what kind.

She also gives them 'dripping' on bread if they have a tablet! My grandad still likes 'dripping' !!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Ive never really thought about the smell of it - sort of smells a bit like tripe but other than that, dont find it over powering. Down to the last 12 tins again so guess its back to the pet store sometime soon this week
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Ive never really thought about the smell of it - sort of smells a bit like tripe but other than that, dont find it over powering. Down to the last 12 tins again so guess its back to the pet store sometime soon this week
I was only talking about the smell of the real tripe my grandma used to prepare for the dogs in her kitchen.... washing it out and stuff... blurgh! She used to get it straight from the butchers too. The canned stuff doesn't smell too bad.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
I was only talking about the smell of the real tripe my grandma used to prepare for the dogs in her kitchen.... washing it out and stuff... blurgh! She used to get it straight from the butchers too. The canned stuff doesn't smell too bad.
The stuff you get from the butchers pales into insignificance when compared to that from the abbattoir.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2011, 07:27 AM
And I thought the frozen stuff from P@H was horrible. Even after touching it frozen I have to scrub my hands until they are red to get rid of the smell, other wise Cookie licks them constantly.
Never tried the butchers tins, but I have heard some good stuff about them, and they sound cheaper than his naturediet, but we need a steady protein source as he can be funny with some red meats.
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2011, 09:26 PM
It is the only thing that will make Saffi eat reliably. I've tried just about everything on the planet, but have given in and mix a bit with her dry food each day now- no problems. I am a fan of it- partially for this reason, but also because, as mentioned, it is better than most tinned foods. I would prefer Saff to love Naturediet or similar but she gets fussy on that too, so Butchers it is. It's the only tin i would use i think.
wine&chips
New Member!
Female 

21-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Sorry posted this quote by mistake as editing didn't remove it had copied it and pasted the wrong bit apologies to Velevtboxers
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 11:25 AM
I feed Butcher's Tripe Mix as a wet food, the dogs love it.

Totally agree with SB r.e. all the scaremongering nonsense!
wine&chips
New Member!
Female 

21-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Fed my lovely Sprollie on Butchers plain tripe mix for 12 of her 14 years she loved it mixed with mixer biscuits she was like a puppy until Arthritis set in and she had to have prescription food due to the medications messing up her system. Think now that I should have added supplements though in addition to the Cod Liver Oil. Miss her always
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >