View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Oh dear MORE scaremongering hearsay is spread I see.............

First of all there is nothing WRONG in animal or vegetable etc derivatives. Neither does it mean that your dog will be eating something it should not.

The PURPOSE of this labelling is so the manufacturer can make a food the ANALYSIS of which remains the same but the INGREDIENTS of which can alter depending on what is available on the market at a price which the maker is prepared to pay.

So, the food will always have x amount of protein, but the SOURCE of that protein will vary.

Just like CHAPPIE for example! (that so many people recommend and so many dogs do well on).

The problem with these foods is that IF you have a dog that is intolerant to or allergic to one of the protein sources you cannot identify if it is present or not. But for the majority of dogs who are not quite so "sensitive" this is not an issue.

Please see attached links to the labelling explanations from the PFMA for assistance.

http://www.pfma.org.uk/pet-food/arti...=193&cat_id=66

http://www.pfma.org.uk/_assets/image...s_may_2006.pdf

Not sure what "ghastly" things are hidden in the term "derivatives" again perhaps someone would let me know.

Neither can this contain JUST feathers, beaks etc contrary to popular belief.

Again, contrary to scare mongering neither can the food contain diseased animals, dogs or pet ID tags (sigh); this is a myth commonly perpetuated by some raw food fascists.

Most vitamins found in dog (and human) food are artificial as they are cheaper, I am unaware of any synthetic vitamin which causes hyperactivity (perhaps someone who knows can enlighten us)? however artificial colours have been linked to ADHD as have several other things..........

There is no artificial vitamin that has been banned from human food either AFAIK!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Alot of dogs I know eat butchers mixed with some kibble. All healthy with good stools.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Because I am not completely happy with feeding totally dry food at each meal I usually add water and tripe to the kibble. I think a bit of tripe mixed in adds a bit of extra flavour to the meal and the kibble is still crunchy as it doesn't get time to soak in the liquid and it all goes down together.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Oh dear MORE scaremongering hearsay is spread I see.............

First of all there is nothing WRONG in animal or vegetable etc derivatives. Neither does it mean that your dog will be eating something it should not.

Please see attached links to the labelling explanations from the PFMA for assistance.

http://www.pfma.org.uk/pet-food/arti...=193&cat_id=66

http://www.pfma.org.uk/_assets/image...s_may_2006.pdf

Not sure what "ghastly" things are hidden in the term "derivatives" again perhaps someone would let me know.

Neither can this contain JUST feathers, beaks etc contrary to popular belief.

Again, contrary to scare mongering neither can the food contain diseased animals, dogs or pet ID tags (sigh); this is a myth commonly perpetuated by some raw food fascists.

Most vitamins found in dog (and human) food are artificial as they are cheaper, I am unaware of any synthetic vitamin which causes hyperactivity (perhaps someone who knows can enlighten us)? however artificial colours have been linked to ADHD as have several other things..........

There is no artificial vitamin that has been banned from human food either AFAIK!

Interesting - so what I read on more than one site was basically untrue?

Oh well, Dex'll be pleased. If it was untrue that means I can start giving him some of the treats they sell in our local shop again!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Interesting - so what I read on more than one site was basically untrue?

Oh well, Dex'll be pleased. If it was untrue that means I can start giving him some of the treats they sell in our local shop again!

Obviously the above applies if made in the UK etc, if the food came from (insert relevant country in whose legislation you may not have complete faith) then it would not apply.

I think because a FEW companies used dodgy practices years ago, people assume that everyone is the same and it continues. The PFMA is a good source of facts re dog food in the UK.

(I would like to make it clear that in writing of this post I am in no way endorsing tinned dog food nor am I a shareholder/owner/employee of the said food)

ROFLMAO
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 03:47 PM
mine have a tin each per day and they love it. they are in very good condition, wethere thats becasue of their diet or what i dont know but its a favourite here
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Jasper gets butchers tripe mixed into his kibble as he will not touch kibble dry. i didnt want him on it as i preferred the natural foods but every food like weinwrights,natures diet,natures harvet,burns just to name a few i have tried gave him awful runs so i tried butchers and havent looked back never had a runny poo from him while being on it, and now he will eat every last morsal of his breakfast and dinner.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 03:48 PM
I have fed Butchers in the past, I always thought it was a lot better than many of the wet foods that contain the minimum of 4% meat derivatives.

Max had dreadful stomach upsets when he first came to us and we tried a number of different foods for a couple of years. The problem that we had was the changing ingredients, it was impossible to know what it was that kept him poorly, which is why we changed to Burns in the end. As for the taste of Butchers, I can say that Max LOVED it!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I've used it for years. In my opinion, it's one of the better wet foods that is readily available and realistically priced for the not so high earners.

I agree with SB on the scaremongering front. Some of the myths are quite comical.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I've used it for years. In my opinion, it's one of the better wet foods that is readily available and realistically priced for the not so high earners.

I agree with SB on the scaremongering front. Some of the myths are quite comical.
£11 in pets@home for 24 tins is that a good price??
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »