View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Inka and Kain were both 7 weeks and were great fun, you do have to spend time with them seperately and its good for them to be walked seperately some times too, the biggest draw back I felt was it was hard to seperate them, we always needed a baby sitter if 1 had to go to the vet or anything cause the other hadn't been left alone...I did the puppy classes with them both at the same time, its hard work in the beginning but you reap the rewards twice over x
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I have got a litter brother and sister and have never had any problems with them.

They have definitely bonded with the family even though they are devoted to each other. They can be seperated without pining for each other and be in the same training class without straining to get to each other.

As others have said, it isn't always easy, but 2 dogs of any ages can be a problem together, I guess I just lucked out
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Jed was 16 months when we got Flynn and fortunately, he'd just gotten over his naughty teenager stage.

I personally wouldnt have 2 pups because like everybody has said, it's very hard work and you have to invest in quality individual time with each dog and not many people are lucky enough to spare that kind of time.

In hindsight I think Jed was perhaps a little too young when we added Flynn as he was still maturing himself and perhaps wasnt old enough to discipline a pup. As a result, Flynn is a bully and knows he can get one over on Jed every time. I think now at over 2 years old, he's probably in a better position if we added another.

I delivered to a house the other day and they'd gotten 2 Lab pups from the same litter. I made a comment about double trouble and he just said "oh no, they keep each other company, they're great". I didnt say anything more as I think he may change his mind when they become months old instead of weeks old!
Hapi
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2008, 05:10 AM
After reading all the posts, I have decided to have one puppy at a time!
I don't want to do anything I may regret, so, one puppy this year, another one next year!

Thanks so much everyone for the good advice

Hapi
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Have always left about 3 to 4 years between mine. It may be because I am not super woman but I find even one pup takes loads of time and effort to get through to 18 months without someone doing it or me permanent damage. Having adult dogs in the home means there is little need to house train as the adult dogs do it for you and they also do there share of entertaining the pup but that still leaves me with having to spend a good deal of time training and caring for the pup and I could not entertain the thought of having two of the same age. And as for having two yearlings together just does not bear thinking about.

Another problem that has not been mentioned is that of owning two dogs of the same age is the care that may be needed when they are old dogs. It is sometimes just as much work as caring for a puppy but very much more distressing.
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I don't allow two pups to go to a home of either of my breeds and especially not the SWD's. Is it a Lhasa that you are getting?
coz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2008, 09:58 PM
i have to agree with the above post.we dont let two pups go together as we prefer that each pup has individual training.that said i have done it myself,twice,would i do it a third time,god no,not unless i had to.again it depends on the breed,experience,time and space only yourself can judge

good luck
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2