View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 10:53 AM
tell me about it i spent 250 quid on carpet and they wanted 180 for fitting!!!!!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 10:54 AM
We have laminate or wood floors right through - sweep once a day - no problemo! (laminate is much easier for puppy training though - WOOHOO roll on puppy )
H xx
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I would prefer a carpet personally - think it looks cosier and comfier to sit on. Although I don't have the dog hair problem because Benji being a Bichon doesn't moult I couldn't have laminate in my lounge though because the pump for the central heating is under the floorboards.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 11:45 AM
there was cheap laminate down in the last house we moved into and it was so crap...Keena is really active around the house and could barely stay upright, she was skidding all over...

We soon got Takoda and he was not so bad being much lower to the ground when we was 8 to 10 weeks but I really worried about their growing bones and joints if we had kept the laminate down so we covered it up with carpet in the living room and lino in the kitchen.

It was so noisy, I hated the constant trip trap trip trap when the poor dogs were walking, running around and if they ever dropped one of their nylabones or something it was so loud...lol...Not very relaxing all round.

In my opinion if you have playful dogs, cheap slippery laminate is definitely a no!...But I have heard you can get better laminate that has more of a grip to it, but I don't know.

Laminate sure was easier to clean and you didn't worry about getting it dirty which was a huge bonus, but i'd rather clean all the time than worry about their bones all the time!

Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 12:35 PM
What's tumbleweed?

We had this dilemma and went for sturdy laminate. I love the way it looks and it doesn't get hairy and smelly like the carpet and is easier to keep clean and fresh when muddy paws have walked across it.

BUT Loki slips on it, even though it's textured, and I am paranoid about it getting marked.

So my answer is I don't know which is best .
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Well I like a bit of both (oo er!) There are tiles in the hallway and kitchen, laminate tiles in the bathroom and toilet and carpet everywhere else. I hate the noise of the dogs on the hard surfaces, they skid and slip around as they play, at least with the carpet they get a bit of grip. I vacuum and sweep every day anyway but for comfort and safety I would stick to carpet in the 'living' areas

Also, with the ground being muddy at the moment, the dogs stay in the kitchen till they are dry. If we had laminate, I might be tempted to let them through, as they wouldn't dirty a carpet, but then the rest of the house gets muddy marks too.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
I vacuum and sweep every day anyway but for comfort and saftey I would stick to carpet in the 'living' areas
Y'see - I told you all I was no good at this housework thing - you need to do that every day then?
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
you need to do that every day then?
You do on my planet LS :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

PS Tumbleweed is the collection of dog hair that blows across the floor just after you've cleaned up
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
You do on my planet LS :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

PS Tumbleweed is the collection of dog hair that blows across the floor just after you've cleaned up
Urgh yeah I've seen that recently! Not nice! Don't know what's worse, tumbleweed ( ) or just having mounds of it appearing on the carpet.

Just to add I was going to have the hallway laminated too but after the living room, decided to keep it carpet so Loki can get it dirty and smelly to his heart's content. Can't think why nobody visits anymore ... :smt017
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2006, 02:21 PM
yep the vacume has to come out once maybe twice a day here too...lol...

I think it's worse when you have two dog cuz all the play send the fur flying!...If I leave it more than 2 days or so then we have big tufts of fur building up everywhere too...lol

We get the tumbleweed also on the lino in the kitchen...lol
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >