Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marean
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2006, 02:18 PM

Bullfinches in my garden!

I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I looked out of the window and saw 2 bullfinches sat in the forsythia tree. I have never seen one before. Have noticed lately the 3 chaffinches have taken a likening to this tree and seem to spend a lot of time just sitting in it. So there I was looking at them when suddenly appeared these 2 bullfinches I even got my husband out of the shower to witness it . Justs shows whats about, we live on a new estate but are close to open fields and have often seen green finches, chaffinches, wagtails and of course starlings the odd sparrow but nothing as exotic looking as the bullfinch. I keep peeping out to see if they will come back at all.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Bullfinches are beautiful birds. They look so exotic. A pair visits my garden from time to time and I could watch them for hours. I think they feed off buds of some sort so maybe there was something budding in your garden that attracted them. When they come to my garden they spend all their time in blackberry bushes and sometimes thistles, hovering just like humming birds.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2006, 04:32 PM
aww how brilliant we had a pair in the garden the other day first time that ive seen them they spent ages on the bird table filling up they are such a beautiful bird
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2006, 04:43 PM
I have a regular Black Bird that loves to come into my garden on the bird stand and eat away at his treats I leave out for him, I must say it is a pleasure to have these lovely winged creatures in the garden
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2006, 07:23 PM
How lovely to see the Bull Finches, I have only ever seen one, try to get a pic next time.
Dawn.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm just going on the net to look at this bird, as I am not sure. I had birds in my garden last week that I didn't recognise.

Also one day when I was on phone looking out of kitchen window, after putting food out, I must of had in excess of 100 birds, majority were starlings, but it was so eiree... I could hear them on the flat roof, loads were in a palm tree, on the bird table, on the grass...everywhere. Alfred Hitchcock.....
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Aww they are stunning little birds, a good spot I haven't had any in the garden, but saw one in the lanes driving home, I had to stop the car to get a good look, they are so beautiful
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
The one we had visiting in the spring was soo pink...I hadn't realised how vividly coloured they were