Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
I really wanted to get Buster into running with me but there are two problems, one problem is so disappointing. The first problem is, Buster's got a problem with his hind leg that we have been unable to get to the bottom of at the moment. The really disappointing problem is, I've been told I can no longer do any running ever again (only a bit of gentle jogging on the grass, no hard surfaces), as I have a problem with my knees . so the running is out the window altogether.

Both my boys get two walks a day and sometimes at weekends they get 3.
I feel your pain. Used to run half marathons all the time, till I ended up with a stress fracture in my foot. Now can't run more than about twenty mins without being in agony. And have put on about a stone in weight since then

I'm planning on investing in a mountain bike
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Generally twice a day, first thing in the morning and then again any time between 12am-9pm depending on the time of year and whether I'm working or not. Length differs but generally totals 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day. That is for my two larger dogs.

With Tilly, I occasionally walk her with the others (maybe once or twice a week so she gets a decent walk) but find it easier to take her out for a short walk on her own. I find having three dogs going in entirely different directions a bit 'much'!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 02:51 PM
It varies from day to day. Some days I may be out training and my dogs are in and out of the car all day. If I am working from home two sessions a day of various length and speed depending on what I am doing ie on the bike, or they may go swimming, just walking or training.

If I am on the road they usually get at least two sessions outside.

The older dog really just does her own thing now.

So they could be out for 15 mins several times a day or 4 hours once a day, or 2 x 1 hr etc, we do not have a set routine, route or activity.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Nothing set in stone but usualy my garden is to swampy so they get at least 3 walks a day, sometimes a quick once round the park ro go to the loo - sometimes a full day hike, mostly somewhere in between
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Rupert gets very little outdoor exercise in comparison to what my last two did. I've tried the whole long walks thing with him and he spends the entire walk hunched up with his tail tucked between his legs while he tries to look in ten different directions at once. When we go to the man eating nettle field we're out about 30-40 minutes as he's more relaxed there but most of our walks are between 5 and 10 minutes, long enough for him to read his pee mail, have a pee and stretch his legs but not long enough that he gets horribly stressed. He probably gets about an hour on leash walking on days we don't go to the field and an extra half hour if we do.

I miss long walks with my dog but with how stressed he gets it doesn't seem fair to do them.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 03:20 PM
On an average day, Jake (and Paddy during the week) will get either two walks that are each at least an hour, or they will get one big walk. Like today, they have been for a 3 hour walk... that is them for the day now, except a wee on lead walk later tonight.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 03:38 PM
We usually go for three walks a day. The main one in the morning (approx. 1 hour). then one mid-afternoon (30 minutes) and a road walk in the evenings now it is dark. We also go out for toilet walks as necessary. We are lucky walks are quite easy for us because we can go straight out onto the fields from the back garden gate.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Wow some very lucky dogs

Kestral gets whatever is most practical for me;

Either a 15-30 minute morning walk and 30mins-1hr one later.
Or just one, anywhere between 45 mins - 1.5 hrs. If the walk is short she gets more indoor training.

She gets training every day and swimming most days too (unless its too cold), play games together inside and out like find it. Sometimes we go out on the bike too.

I'm lucky that she will take whatever I give her, no complaints if we don't go out for some reason, we just play for longer inside. (Apart from when she cut her paw and didn't have a proper walk for a couple of weeks, she was a little monster then )
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Mine get at least 90 minutes a day.

Usually as a one hour off lead explore and two 15 minute on lead toilet strolls, but sometimes as three half hours depending on my schedule.

They're only little but they enjoy their walks so much, I can't imagine only letting a young healthy dog have two lots of 15 minutes, they'd only just be warming up before they were home again.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2011, 04:21 PM
it depends if im at work or not...

if im working then they have a half hour one in the morning, then an hour when i get in...

if im not working then we tend to do 2 1 hour walks, unless i can get to a different place and walk somewhere for 2+ hours like teggs nose or meerbrook.

sometimes do a 15 minute road walk on lead before bed...

really depends on my mood and theirs...

do you only take your cocker out for half an hour then?
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >