register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Poll - Do you agree you should be alpha male over your dog?
Yes 70 39.33%
No 71 39.89%
Other, please specify 37 20.79%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 45 of 92 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 > Last »
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
Sorry if this has already been covered, I must have missed it . When people talk about pack theory and technique what do they actually mean? What is the technique.

To me I think of alpha rolling, jabbing the neck, going through doors first, ignoring dog until they are calm, only giving attention when you want and calling the dog to you, not giving attention when the dog wants it and stuff like that.
I'm probably wrong in thinking that so please correct me. It's interesting to know as I think everyone has a different idea of what they mean by pack leadership.
It's a theory we bought into with our last dog and it went really wrong.

***creeps back out***
There are a few versions, sort of. It's been explained back further in the thread but basically a scientist called Schenkel studied a captive wolf pack and from his observations made wrong assumptions about how wolves, and also dogs, live. Other scientists referred to and supported his work until more recently when Mech realised this was wrong and put forward the fact that there is no such thing as an "Alpha" leader based on fighting for hierarchy.

He believes the "alpha" is purely the breeding pair and that is all. So, technically, all wolves who live long enough and who leave to form their own groups can be alpha.

It's explained here, if you check out the links in the article, it explains a lot of the history of the Alpha view :

http://www.4pawsu.com/dogpsychology.htm

It's a very good site as it brings a lot of info together. Here's a bit from it:

"Dominance was once touted as the cause and solution for behavior problems in dogs. This belief originated with studies of captive wolf packs in the 1940's and was popularized by the Monks of New Skete in 1978. This belief led to fear that these animals could physically harm us unless we "established our dominance." Methods such as alpha rolls and leash corrections were often recommended as a way for the dog owner to "establish dominance" over their dogs.

However, there are multiple problems with modeling dog training after these beliefs:

The wolf studies were seriously flawed...".

John Fisher didn't like the physical dominance and pain based training involve with this and so derived pack leadership based on not eating before the dog, not letting dogs on furniture etc but after a few years he had the courage to do a U turn and admit he was incorrect, bless him.

That's very basically it but - even in this day and age most peeps who follow Alpha view tend to also believe in physical domination - the scruffing, rolling, pinning, bullying, etc.

It's obvious this is not needed as dogs are turned around and trained without this, even the red zone dogs (red zone - groan ) but physical punishment is easy and often rewards humans who often can't see any fallout. However, it's almost always there.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
With my dog now I don't see myself as alpha female (far too soft), she's a memeber of our family and can do what she likes, get on the sofa, my bed when she wants but will get off when I tell het too.......I don't see that as me being alpha, just her having manners and understanding certain boundaries.....is that the same as being alpha?
No

What do you think of the info in the 4paws link, does that help to explain it a bit more?

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Gnasher I don't think the things described have much to do with being Alpha or pack leader and this is the sort of technique many of us use based on common sense and experience. I think where many of us differ from you is we don't call this being pack leader or consider ourselves to be pack leader/ alpha , we are just the ones with larger brains in charge of the resources.

I agree with this post Mini, I think the same

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Exactly Minihaha ! I think a lot of people get all confused by the term Alpha - they assume this means a kind of jack-booted Dog Owner marching around barking orders right left and centre at their poor dogs, without any praise or affection.
I don't agree that this is a wrong interpretation though, as often in dog training this is exactly what alpha/dominance/pack leadership meant

You tend to use the term alpha differently to most, Gnasher

You will only ever see CM pinning dogs or IMO handling them assertively when they are what he describes as Red Zoners. Frequently these animals are on Death Row and Cesar is their last resort.
Many are just ordinary pets with problems usually caused by their owners...and in the US where I am on a training list there, I do know of trainers who have taken on some of CMs cases which, after the cameras had gone, were as bad or worse .....

But let's not get into CM

It's make or break, no time to pussy foot around. But thankfully most of our dogs are not red zoners, and we would never need to pin our dogs, I certainly have never done so to Tai, or Hal. But should I need to, I would.
Reputable behaviourists disagree with this and do not use this in their behaviour programmes...

Many of us are being Alphas or Pack Leaders without even realising it ! Possibly many have voted "no" on the poll, when they really should have voted yes ?
Disagree! as I think Pidge probably meant Alpha as in dominance hierarchy, John Fisher theory, etc...I may be wrong but ....maybe Pidge can clarify.

A word after all is just a noise caused by an exhalation of air manipulated by lips and tongue ! Those of us who don't like the word alpha, can describe themselves as Leader, She Who Must Be Obeyed, or whatever trips their trigger. I like alpha, although thought I should stop using it as it seemed to cause problems with people and I didn't want this brilliant thread to turn nasty. I do consider myself to be Alpha Female, with OH Alpha Male and we are both Pack leaders.
Gnasher, I think if you use the term alpha it really has to be based on what we know about its origins. This is what I don't understand about your use of the word - do you not think maybe your use of the word is confusing as you say you don't use pack leader views (dogs not on furniture, etc) and also you don't use much if any physical domination? Science historically tells us what alpha is or isn't, do you not agree?

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

I also posted about the work of Alexandra Semyonova who has spent 14 years studying dogs and does not believe in the myth of packs/alpha/dominance. I will not post the quotes again but you can read about her work here ..
Mini I found that the link did not work, hope you don't mind but I'll give this one if that's OK

http://www.nonlineardogs.com/embed-SocOrg.html

This study is well worth reading. If anyone is interested in the argument do have a gander as it makes some very interesting points and, is not too hard to read unlike some

Also this link to the home page gives a nice summary:

http://www.nonlineardogs.com/

Wys
x
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
No

What do you think of the info in the 4paws link, does that help to explain it a bit more?

Wys
x
Thanks for the link, that made it all a lot clearer thank you and an interesting read!

It seems to me then that there are 2 types of training using the assumption that a problem dog is being dominant. This is me thinking out loud so please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is the CM way of doing things which is very hands on and forceful with little or no positive reinforcement or praise.

Then there is the Jan Fennell way of doing things which is pretty much the total opposite in which you completely ignore your dog, no eye contact, no touching until they become so despressed they just "submit" and go a lie down and only then will any affection be given by the owner.

These 2 methods seems worlds apart but based on similair wolf pack theory?

I've had experience of both with 2 different trainers and both were pretty disasterous. I'm ashamed to admit that because looking back I can see how wrong they both were for me and my dog.
I didn't know any better back then, and that's the scary part. Joe Public can watch a tv show or read a book or get an "expert" in (in my case) and think they know what they are doing and end up with a dog they just can't control.

ClaireAndDaisy, I was one of those "poor saps" who got themselves bit repeatedly. At least I've learnt from it! And if I have issues now i know the right people to go to for help.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
But the good think about positive training is once you have decided to train something then the behaviour you don’t want should pretty much never be seen again
Yes,

I am having to take my time to change how her mind works, not just telling her off for being scared
Spot on and good for you!

Oh WYS - I ment I voted other
Ok thanks, I think that's at least 4 of us then who voted Other as in, Not Alpha

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Mind you, in the wolf pack the alpha is the parent - not the most dom shouty one, not the one with the best energy, just the parent
so I guess I am the alpha but as the term tends to be used for different things that I dont agree with I will not use the word for myself
Agree, good post.

(I am sorry I am posting so much, I've done quite a few this morning, but I'm catching up and posting as I go )

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
I have never met a responsible person involved with wolves or wolfdogs who advocates using any dominance or so called 'alpha' technique. Never.
Hallo and thankyou for your input; if you don' t mind me saying so, it's good to see someone who has the breeds you have/had and who does not advocate dominance based training or alpha methods.

Oops, I think I said too much now.
I think we're all being very good on the whole and "not really going there..."

P.S. I don't think heel work to music is silly either, at least not for the dog...
I think it's oK too. I've just competed in my first RallyO (not HTM but another quite relaxed, fun comp) which was great fun too, keep the enjoyment in competition for dog and owner, I say!

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
This thread is just going round in circles because no-one is using the Alpha Male methods based on wolf-pack theory.
That does seem to be true,

Wys
x
Page 45 of 92 « First < 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 55 > Last »