View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 04:21 PM
thank god most of you are sensible and see that killing a dog because of its colour is wrong as for breeders no longer culling the whites sadly this is untrue I know of MANY breeders that put out stud dogs to sire and say OH !YOU WONT SEE A WHITE THAT HE THROWS no you wont because as soon as any are born the poor things are distroyed this is so more people will use thei dog as opposed to another that has produced whites funny how its always the dogs fault its also strange that only 3% of rescues that are seen by rescue are female the rest all boys and very few whites are put up for re-homing could be that there is less of them but does make you wonder shouldnt really speak about rescue to the majority of breeders its like a bad smell and shouldnt be spoken about they have even said that there is no need for it if they really think that they are living in an unreal world and are totally blinkered
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Totally agree!!!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 04:28 PM
The first time I heard this was from a workmate who had a boxer- we were discussing our dogs and he happened to mention he'd spoken to a breeder who said white dogs should be culled
I hadnt heard of it before

Having said that when I was looking for a breeder before we got Gus I spoke to one who mentioned she would kill any blues in her litter (staffys that is- not Boxers)
CBT
Dogsey Senior

17-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Roxy
The thing is as mentioned before Dalmatians have the same problem with deafness, but we dont cull Dalmatians. Why because all dalmatians are carriers of the white gene and this would involve culling all Dalmatians and the end of the breed.
Oh how I wish this were true Roxy, but unfortunately, some dalmatian puppies used to be culled too , pups born with patches were often culled, nothing to do with health issues but simply because their markings didnt conform to the breed standard

Also, merle and mismarked great danes were often culled as breeders wanted to produce the "perfect" harlequins, and it is impossible to produce harlequins without a mismark or two in the litter.

Thankfully nowadays dog breeders are a bit more caring and a bit less obsessed with trying to breed the "perfect" dog, and these dogs which are considered "sub - standard" and sold for less, often make superb pets for people who cannot afford, or dont want to pay the high prices often commanded for pedigree dogs.
Annestaff
Supervisor

17-01-2005, 05:37 PM
From Ruby's last litter we had a little deaf pup and we didn't realise anything was wrong with him until he was 4 weeks. We knew for definate by 6 weeks and it broke my heart when it was suggested I get him put to sleep. By this age he was a real little character and no way was I putting this little boy down.

I went out and bought a new cage just incase I had to keep him for some time and Harvey didn't take to him. I rearranged the house so he could run around and play without getting hurt. It took ages to coax him in to the big wide world outside but by 10 weeks you couldn't keep him in. At 12 weeks I passed him to his new owners who wanted him reguardless of his disability. He lives quite local to me so I can see him when ever I like and he couldn't live in a more loved household. He also lives with another staffy, and this has really helped with his training as he follows her like a little lap dog.

How could I have had this little man put to sleep?

Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 06:02 PM
He is beautiful
Carole
Supervisor

17-01-2005, 07:02 PM
very cute Anne :smt049
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 07:26 PM
he is absolutaly gorgeous how could anyone not see that it wants to make you go ah! glad that this was one lucky pooch
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2005, 07:56 PM
O Anne - what a babe
[img-big]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/mckyjo/emoticons/hearts1.gif[/img-big]
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2005, 07:57 PM
good for you.
i dont see why a deaf dog needs to be pts, they can still be trained and make loyal loving pets.
its all a case of the owner giving the time needed to train a deaf dog but it is just done by sign's thats all.
at the end of the day no dog is perfect to their own breed standard.
you could have a white boxer who is very close to the standard and a red etc with has major faults, to pts the white due to colour is un forgivable in mho.
no breeder should put any 2 dogs together if there is a high risk of a white. to do so and not give this pup a home etc would be stupid maybe it would teach some of them to take breeding seriously.
i had 2 red boxers one of each as some of you know and got asked regular if we are going to breed etc, my answer was no..........my girl had congenital heart problems because some idiot was only breeding for the cash and our lad had a undershot jaw............. a fault that could be passed on.
i have no doubt the pups would have been great pets etc and i could have got rid of 1 litter over and over but my dogs come first to me always have and always will what ever breed i own.
Page 4 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »