Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
pmsl i see you evade my question

but no not rabbits! its a very poor comparison, maybe you should compare them to mink (and i kno mink arnt domesticated lol)

do you realise with out the rabbit some of our native creatures would probably be extinct? so as i keep saying the rabbit is a naturalized species and is actually important to our rarest habitats!

the cat on the on the other hand is a DOMESTICATED uncontrolled Alien predator speaks for itself really
I wasn't evading it Noushka, you know my view already on feral cats, their numbers need to be controlled, as do numbers of rabbits (another introduced species) and foxes, because there is nothing to stop their numbers growing except humans.

Now I know you like posting your link to natural control methods for foxes/rabbits, BUT, you've evaded my question. What if rabbits, an introduced species weren't available as prey species for foxes, nor all the rubbish us humans leave out for them. What if there were other predators that preyed on foxes, apart from us humans? I believe their numbers would be kept at a natural level, at the moment, if left to their own devices, numbers grow to unsustainable levels, and that's when disease strikes.

I STILL don't get your argument that rabbits are naturalised and cats aren't. Cats fit into the system as efficient predators, too efficient perhaps in some areas, rabbits fit into the system too, but that doesn't mean that they haven't inexorably altered the balance of nature as it should be in England, not always for the better. Which neatly leads me back to the question you didn't answer
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Balance is what its all about.No one wants to see any animal hunted to extinction,but to simply have their population kept in check.Some like deer and fox have no natural predator so humans have to take the lead and i'll never be persuaded otherwise.

To be blunt,its just another thing which happens in rural life which some people are totally unaware.I shoot foxes,rabbits,hares,pigeons,corvids for various farmers and if you ask why they're culled its because they're all a threat to the farmers livelihood.

ps.You dont own a cat-you're just someone who feeds it.
and believe me i do understand that some animals need to be controlled, but i do think farmers should be finding humane methods (as ive said on previous threads lol) to protect livestock and not jumping straight for their gun,...and leaving foxes be who arent causing problems .

there are estimated to be 240,000 foxes in the UK compared to approx 8 million cats who also have no predators....these cats are estimated to kill 300 million of our birds and other wildlife each year and i find it totally hypocritical that because one animal is a pet and the other isnt that some people blatently turn a blind the damage the cat is doing and yet vilify the indiginous fox ....(this is not aimed at you Steve )
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 06:50 PM
LOL and lets just sweep the cat problem under the carpet
Just are just being silly, if you want to discuss the problem you obviously have with Cats, start a thread on it.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I wasn't evading it Noushka, you know my view already on feral cats, their numbers need to be controlled, as do numbers of rabbits (another introduced species) and foxes, because there is nothing to stop their numbers growing except humans.

Now I know you like posting your link to natural control methods for foxes/rabbits, BUT, you've evaded my question. What if rabbits, an introduced species weren't available as prey species for foxes, nor all the rubbish us humans leave out for them. What if there were other predators that preyed on foxes, apart from us humans? I believe their numbers would be kept at a natural level, at the moment, if left to their own devices, numbers grow to unsustainable levels, and that's when disease strikes.

I STILL don't get your argument that rabbits are naturalised and cats aren't. Cats fit into the system as efficient predators, too efficient perhaps in some areas, rabbits fit into the system too, but that doesn't mean that they haven't inexorably altered the balance of nature as it should be in England, not always for the better. Which neatly leads me back to the question you didn't answer
and i was meaning the millions of pet cats which are allowed to roam...but i think you knew that ...sooo?????

wow im amazed you STILL cant get my argument and see the difference between a WILD PREY species and a DOMESTICATED PREDATOR species how can a domestic species ever be part of any habitat anywhere???

some animals or plants athough not native can fit in to ecosystems and the European rabbit has done just that here in the UK, as i said previously some of our rarest species actually depend on the rabbit and im not talking about predators here

and in answer to your question as ive just said in my reply to Steve i do understand that sometimes animals need to be controlled but i would prefer it to be done by someone who is a true conservationist not by people who enjoy it or in the poor foxes in this thread by someone who is avenging the killing of a pet!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Just are just being silly, if you want to discuss the problem you obviously have with Cats, start a thread on it.
lol nope im not being silly in being deadly serious....because im passionate about wildlife,the environment and conservation

and again you couldnt be more wrong its not cats i have the problem with because its not their fault!... i LOVE cats! just as i love ALL animals
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:16 PM
lol nope im not being silly in being deadly serious....because im passionate about wildlife,the environment and conservation

and again you couldnt be more wrong its not cats i have the problem with because its not their fault!... i LOVE cats! just as i love ALL animals
Yeah, OK I believe you, you seem like a Cat hater to me, but Im not concerned with that, as I said they appear to bother you so much, start a thread.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Balance is what its all about.No one wants to see any animal hunted to extinction,but to simply have their population kept in check.Some like deer and fox have no natural predator so humans have to take the lead and i'll never be persuaded otherwise.

To be blunt,its just another thing which happens in rural life which some people are totally unaware.I shoot foxes,rabbits,hares,pigeons,corvids for various farmers and if you ask why they're culled its because they're all a threat to the farmers livelihood.

ps.You dont own a cat-you're just someone who feeds it.
You'd be surprised Steve. Cats are extremely smart.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2011, 07:30 PM
and believe me i do understand that some animals need to be controlled, but i do think farmers should be finding humane methods (as ive said on previous threads lol) to protect livestock and not jumping straight for their gun,...and leaving foxes be who arent causing problems .

there are estimated to be 240,000 foxes in the UK compared to approx 8 million cats who also have no predators....these cats are estimated to kill 300 million of our birds and other wildlife each year and i find it totally hypocritical that because one animal is a pet and the other isnt that some people blatently turn a blind the damage the cat is doing and yet vilify the indiginous fox ....(this is not aimed at you Steve )
Yes,i do remember and still think using Alpacas as protection against Foxes is a good idea,but i dont think any farmer i know would entertain the idea.Most of the farms i go on are arable with a gameshoot being a addition so to put livestock onto the land would be a definete no as they inturn would eat the crops.You couldnt fence an area off because gamebirds are released onto the land which could be a hundred acres of cereal crop.

The only instance i feel Alpacas might be beneficial is during lambing time as foxes predate heavily on new born lambs,but this would be dependent if they would get along with each other.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You'd be surprised Steve. Cats are extremely smart.
Yeah and thats why i dont trust em' Dawn.

They want to take over the world...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah and thats why i dont trust em' Dawn.

They want to take over the world...
LOL yeah, according to some they do!!
Page 19 of 37 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »