Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Mixi rabbit :(

Was just driving back from the shop and on the quiet country road leading into my village there was a rabbit in the middle of the road, i slowed down and it moved a few foot to the side and didnt move. I had to stop the car and tried to shoo it away and it moved so slowly.
It was thin and mangey looking so im pretty sure it has mixi.
I couldnt do anything but clap and make noise to try and scare it into the the bushes and it eventually hopped in there.

TBH (and others may not agree) but i wish i had one of the dogs with me, i would have let one out to dispatch it quickly and cleanly (as i know they would).

Horrible thinking of it dying a slow horrible death.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I totally agree with you. They die a horrible slow and painful death with that. I would have a dog on one any day than go thro that.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Myxi is absolutely horrid Did the rabbit have puffed up looking eyes? If so, that is definitely myxi. Poor thing.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I have despatched many a myxied rabbit before, it truly is a horrible, man-made disease.

However, I have seen cases of rabbits recovering from it - scarring around the eyes and have always assumed they have had myxi and recovered?

Helen
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Myxi is absolutely horrid Did the rabbit have puffed up looking eyes? If so, that is definitely myxi. Poor thing.
Yes, its eyes/face looked very puffy and it was really skinny.

I wouldnt know what to do dispatching it by myself, i wouldnt want to get it wrong and for it to suffer. Also i have a rabbit of my own so didnt want to bring anything home
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 06:25 AM
Sorry you had to see that Layla, hopefully a fox will have got it before the Myxi had time to.

Luckily I haven't seen any Myxi rabbits, yet, but if I did, the dogs wouldn't dispatch it - they'd lick it I have 7, licking was better than killing IMO...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 07:26 AM
I break their necks when I see these, although my dogs would normally despatch them if they were with me
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Lottie killed one the other day. Did the poor thing a favour.