Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by ozmutt View Post
I wish you well. It is a hard path if you choose it.
Do you mean in terms of the training involved??

Thanks Shona.. Whats the difference between open and limited ?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Open is open to all, limited is when Im just compeating against rotts, but some limited shows are limited to members, sure someone more in the know will update the diff show classes, Patch is good for that type of thing, lol,
Open is imo far more difficult, limited to rotts things are a bit more lax, x shona x
ozmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2007, 03:17 AM
Quite honestly - I didn't mean in time of training - you can work your very behind off - you can be out every day - several times a day - believe that you have given your best - worked as hard as you can -- but there is always that owner - maybe a "paid" handler - who will "do just that little bit better", because they want the title to put on the pedigree.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by ozmutt View Post
but there is always that owner - maybe a "paid" handler - who will "do just that little bit better", because they want the title to put on the pedigree.
This is not something that happens in the UK in obedience. Yes some dogs have different handlers than owners but thats unusual and tends to be just favours being done - for example when my competition dog had died a friend let me work one of her collies.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2007, 11:57 AM
hi there,

i'm a bit of a simpleton when it comes to the show scene as i've not been involved in it for donkeys years! i would love to do a very novice one with sam, but i dont know where to start! he's also a rescue and as far as i'm aware not registered with the kennel club. also i dont even know if he's good enough!!! what would a novice obedience show entail...what would we have to do? any advice would be great!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by springergirl View Post
hi there,

i'm a bit of a simpleton when it comes to the show scene as i've not been involved in it for donkeys years! i would love to do a very novice one with sam, but i dont know where to start! he's also a rescue and as far as i'm aware not registered with the kennel club. also i dont even know if he's good enough!!! what would a novice obedience show entail...what would we have to do? any advice would be great!
My advice is to find a competitive obedience club or an obedience trainer & start training.

If neither you nor he have competed & won anything nor been placed at open shows then you can start in the Pre Beginners class

You can register him on the Activites register-the UK KC will register any breed or crossbreed for activites & there is a downloadable form on teh website

You can also go to obedience shows & see what goes on

Pre B's consists on heelwork, recall & stays
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2007, 12:50 PM
thanks for your advice joedeeuk. i just go to normal pet dog training, agility and heelwork to music classes. guess i'll have to have a look around for competitive obedience trainers. thanks again
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2