View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Oh well, you seem to have done the trick with the lampshade then Foxy and the bathing. Yes, the only reason I even noticed his ear at first was all the black around the white fur coz he must have had a muddy paw and mixed with all the blood and gunge it looked awful. I still can't clean the ear up, coz he cries so much, it's painful, and I wanted the vet to do it for me yesterday, but he said "no, leave it, just slap a load of Fu*iderm in it and it will clean it" So that's what I've done, and even then he cries when I gently do that. I might get him one of those lampshades like Benji has, although there'll probably be a write up on here afterwards won't there!!! It would be a bit on the large side wouldn't it, so who knows what will happen!

Luckily enough, he hasn't scratched ONCE since he had a steroid jab yesterday and started his antibiotics, and I'm going to use another Advocate tomorrow night as it's been one month since I did it, and hopefully things will look up for us. I'm definitely going for that lampshade though as it seems to have done the trick for Benji. Give him a big hug from us, coz it must still be aggravating him for him to have done that, poor little mite.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap
I was hoping after he was diagnosed it would be all uphill for him. Sorry he has scratched himself sore again. I hope the stronghold works for him soon. Didn't the vet say how long it would take? poor thing. try not to let it stress you out

Yes he said about 24 to 48 hours but maybe he meant for it to start working, perhaps the little sods don't want to die and are having one last Saturday night party
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Oh Foxy, just read that, I expect you went mad, and I cant blame you. So sorry he has scartched it all again, so frustrating....hugs for you if they will help at all.

Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Oh well, you seem to have done the trick with the lampshade then Foxy and the bathing. Yes, the only reason I even noticed his ear at first was all the black around the white fur coz he must have had a muddy paw and mixed with all the blood and gunge it looked awful. I still can't clean the ear up, coz he cries so much, it's painful, and I wanted the vet to do it for me yesterday, but he said "no, leave it, just slap a load of Fu*iderm in it and it will clean it" So that's what I've done, and even then he cries when I gently do that. I might get him one of those lampshades like Benji has, although there'll probably be a write up on here afterwards won't there!!! It would be a bit on the large side wouldn't it, so who knows what will happen!

Luckily enough, he hasn't scratched ONCE since he had a steroid jab yesterday and started his antibiotics, and I'm going to use another Advocate tomorrow night as it's been one month since I did it, and hopefully things will look up for us. I'm definitely going for that lampshade though as it seems to have done the trick for Benji. Give him a big hug from us, coz it must still be aggravating him for him to have done that, poor little mite.
Yes those lampshades are very handy things to have in and they only cost £3.49 from pets at home. I have a new one on standby too in case he breaks the other one They do different sizes - Benji has a size 3 so Georgie will need a size 5 or 6 probably. Hope he's okay poor lad that ear must be sooo sore if he won't let you touch it. Benji always lets me bathe his with hibiscrub and water when he makes a mess of it - he quite likes me doing it I think
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2006, 09:55 PM
You could try rubbing a little Germoline into Benji's ears Foxy as this type of antisceptic cream contains a local annestetic which may give him some relief.I used it on Abe's paw when it was played up which took away some of the itchy sensation when a wound is healing.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Harveys Mum
Oh Foxy, just read that, I expect you went mad, and I cant blame you. So sorry he has scartched it all again, so frustrating....hugs for you if they will help at all.

Thanks Harveys mum I have calmed down now but I was sooo mad with my son for letting him out, don't suppose it was really his fault but why did he have to come downstairs when I was filling the bath Next time the lampshade will stay firmly on until he is ready to get into the bath.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
You could try rubbing a little Germoline into Benji's ears Foxy as this type of antisceptic cream contains a local annestetic which may give him some relief.I used it on Abe's paw when it was played up which took away some of the itchy sensation when a wound is healing.

Thats a good idea Steve, I forgot about that I will do that now just to help it to heal. Thanks Steve
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Poor Benji

I read that stronghold has to be given for 2 months for the mites to be fully eliminated.

I also read this: Within one week of treatment the dog is usually showing marked signs of improvement (http://www.parkvets.com/petsandvets-mitemange2.html)

Hope you see improvements in Benji soon!

EDITED to add this: Basically the mange mites burrow into the dog's skin and lays eggs, the eggs hatch and mature, they then mate and burrow - the cycle continues taking 2-3 weeks on average each time, but obviously multiplying in numbers dramatically - that is probably why you have to give it for 2 months, and it can take a week or so to work.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Poor Benji

I read that stronghold has to be given for 2 months for the mites to be fully eliminated.

I also read this: Within one week of treatment the dog is usually showing marked signs of improvement (http://www.parkvets.com/petsandvets-mitemange2.html)

Hope you see improvements in Benji soon!

Oh thanks for that Hevvur I will have a look at that Its only been 3 days since I put it on so perhaps I am being a bit impatient
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2006, 10:03 PM
sorry to hear about hes ears foxy must seem like takeing one step forward and another step back hope he gets better soon
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >