View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sid&kira
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2010, 02:31 AM

How to get Kira to 'offer' behaviours? (clicker training)

ok so i've been clicker training with kira for about a week, mainly using it for heelwork, and its helped a lot, i not dont need her halti, though she still pulls slightly, so we need to do more work on it...

my problem is shes not very good at offering me behaviours... she definately knows that click = treat, but doesnt like to offer me behaviours to work with... I'd like to teach her some cool tricks using it, and get her really into training, and actually having to think

she's a siberian husky and just turned a year old and already knows:

-paw (and other paw)
-sit
-stay (when she can see me)
-down
-crawl
-roll over
-hug (jumps up and puts her paws around my arm)

all these where taught with lures or physically teaching her (taking her paw when we said it then treating)

any ideas of how to get her to start offering loads of behaviours?
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 08:47 AM
You have to be very patient with a crossover dog. If you sit with a pot of food and your clicker, then click anything you like even the slightest little move to begin with. Or you could put something on the floor (like a bucket, make sure you have your clicker ready), then your dog should go sniff the object and you c/t (throw the treat on/in bucket), then see what you can shape with the bucket, upturned you can get paws on, going around, etc. As I said be very patient to begin with and click the smallest things. I had 1 crossover dog (he was 3 years when I started clicker training, now 11 years) and it took him ages to start offering behaviours, but now, if he sees the clicker and treats, he runs through his whole repetoir (sp?).
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:01 AM
I find a very good way is to play "101 things to do with a box"

Find a largeish box and put it on the floor. Click and treat anything your dog does in relation to the box - looking at it, pawing, nosing, lying down by it, play bowing, pushing, going inside it - anything like that!

The dog learns that it's rewarding to offer behaviours and it's a very fun way for both dog and owner.

Don't try to shape or aim for anything specific, just click and treat for anything the dog does!

Dogs who are used to being "shown" or "positioned" tend to not believe it's OK to offer behaviours, but they do soon get the hang of it IME with this game.

Do it a few times, say twice a day for a few days, before trying any other shaping, just to ensure your dog really has the idea

Wys
x
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Glad this thread was started as I've started clicker training just in the last few days and was wondering the same thing!
I'm just trying to get Maggie to learn "stand" as her response to everything is to sit and then go through a repetoir (sp) of everything I taught her before I started clickering.
Cheers.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
Glad this thread was started as I've started clicker training just in the last few days and was wondering the same thing!
I'm just trying to get Maggie to learn "stand" as her response to everything is to sit and then go through a repetoir (sp) of everything I taught her before I started clickering.
Cheers.
I had a problem with Etta with stand, I just walked along and clicked when we stood still and she was standing. It took ages to get it which surprised me but I think springers do like to sit!

rune
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I find a very good way is to play "101 things to do with a box"

Find a largeish box and put it on the floor. Click and treat anything your dog does in relation to the box - looking at it, pawing, nosing, lying down by it, play bowing, pushing, going inside it - anything like that!

The dog learns that it's rewarding to offer behaviours and it's a very fun way for both dog and owner.

Don't try to shape or aim for anything specific, just click and treat for anything the dog does!

Dogs who are used to being "shown" or "positioned" tend to not believe it's OK to offer behaviours, but they do soon get the hang of it IME with this game.

Do it a few times, say twice a day for a few days, before trying any other shaping, just to ensure your dog really has the idea

Wys
x
I love that video! I tried it with my dog but he was scared of the box!
Free shaping didn't really work for me I have to say, whenever he'd hear the clicker my dog would just sit in front of me for ages awaiting further instructions. It would be nice to see if other people were more successful.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I had the same problem with Ben
Basically I did the 101 things with a box, but to get him moving I chucked a treat the other side of the room, as he came back he was passing the box so I clicked and chucked the treat
Also when he was just sitting infront of me I just waited for anything at all, a noise outside - his ear tilted slightly CLICK, he blinks CLICK, he looks in my eyes CLICK he looks at the treats CLICK, he looks at the clicker CLICK Just anything that is different from last time but rewarding the slightest thing
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I had a problem with Etta with stand, I just walked along and clicked when we stood still and she was standing. It took ages to get it which surprised me but I think springers do like to sit!

rune
Ah ha! That sounds like a better way than I am currently trying with a treat as a lure which she gets a bit OTT about.