Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Vocal when playing

My Murphy is such fun to play with, but when we do the hide and seek game indoors (which he loves) he starts barking and growling, though always wagging his tail. When I want to stop the game, I call him over and say 'finished', then lots of fuss. He growls when we play tug of war too. But I don't let him win often, and never the last game, and I stop when I want to. But the noise he makes has made me wonder. Am I doing something wrong?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Have you ever listened to kids in a playground? It sounds like they`re all killing each other, but it`s all play (well, usually). My dogs `play-growl` while playing, especially tuggy games, but it`s harmless fun. They do the same with each other, and non-doggy people sometimes assume they`re fighting, but again - it`s play.
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Phew! Thank you.

I forgot to include in my first message that I was also wondering if anyone could give me some more suggestions for games, as we only seem to play chase, hide and seek, tug of war and fetch. I read a book that says you should play with your dog in hourly intervals. Our current games don't last nearly as long. I welcome all ideas!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi Vawny it is quite normal for puppies to be vocal when playing
You should hear my puppy Chloe when she is playing alone she growls and barks at her toys and flings them all over the place.
A1schnauzer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Our two both growl, grumble and bark when playing and always have. If ever I think they are getting over zealous when playing tug etc I just whisper 'leave' and they both sit till I throw the toy again. It is just my way of being 100% that they are still playing.