Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am assuming the behaviourist you have spoken to is a) a reputable one with the relevant qualifications and b) familiar with all your dogs etc?

The behaviourist I spoke to was on the APBC web site but she didn't come out I'm looking for another one now who will actually come out - I've got a TTouch lady coming next week so hopefully that could help him too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 01:08 PM
What a dire situation for you now, I can't quite fathom out what would be the best wtg here with the muzzle thing, coz I have for's and against's quite honestly, but I'm leaning towards Hi Ho Silver's idea. When you said Poppy growled as he was trying to settle himself, maybe it was a "go away" growl, maybe she was jealous he might have been thinking of coming to you for a fuss, so it might not have been THE growl you thought, that just let's him know he's going to sit on her - perhaps, who knows?

If this is the case, maybe Bailey had had enough of these constant warnings, and decided to put a stop to them by shutting her up in the only way he knows how! If he really meant business, well, one shake of that neck and she'd be gone, or where he had grabbed her, he could have done some serious damage even though you think YOU stopped it, he might have only wanted to put her in her place, and wouldn't have taken it any further, who knows?

I hope you get some real help from the behaviourist with this, coz you won't sleep easy will you otherwise. There but for the Grace of God, because I've always had 2 bitches together most of my life which is the worst scenario, and although play has sometimes got a bit on the scarey side, there was never, ever anything intentional to harm each other, and there isn't with my current two either, but again, who knows?!

All the best, no wonder it's put the fear of God up you, it would me, and so far, I've only seen my dog give another one a quick bite and let it go! That was scarey enough
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Sorry to hear about this.

We have had a similar situation with our GSD bitch and yorkshire terrier bitch.

Tara had Maisie twice, superficial injuries on both occasions. There is an underlying tension between them in the house although they can go for a walk off-lead together and are totally relaxed.

The second occasion was Maisie on her bed and Tara walking past and Maisie growled and Tara grabbed her in an instant. She screamed and OH grabbed Tara and she did let go thankfully but Maisie was bruised and a small puncture.

They are not together in the house (use of gates etc). If they have to be in the same room together it is supervised with Tara muzzled. We have to be ever vigilant but have got used to it now.

When there is such a size difference it is so risky and I do sometimes wonder if one should be rehomed but Maisie is a senior dog now and Tara being the age, breed that she is and on meds would not be an easy rehome either so we are just careful.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2011, 02:05 PM
It's sad that you are having to deal with this unhappy situation.Some years ago my son took in a rescue GSD and for several years she was a lovely eventempered dog but as she grew older she became blind.This brought a change in her behaviour and she began snapping at his young children.Her unpredicatable behaviour meant she had to be rehomed with a friend that didn't have children or another dog.This caused unhappiness but it was for the best alround.Sorry I can't be helpful but I do smypathize.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 02:47 PM
I've had a recommendation from a friend for a behaviourist but she doesn't work Mondays as she works all wekkend so I'll give her a ring tomorrow and sound her out, make sure she only used aversive techniques etc

I'll let you know how I get on and THANKS again for your help/support
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I am so sorry this has happened and it must have been so frightening. I can't add anything to that which has already been written, but wish you lots of luck that the situation can be sorted. xx
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3