View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-07-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm not the perfect cross breed buyer, I'd only be interested in an adult dog and it would have to be a rescue.

Re the other stuff, I've discussed this with vets ect and other sources and it seems to be the general conclusion.

Re the temperment/suitablity. If ypu cross two breeds with a similar temperment regardless of the pups temperment if they are homed to someone who could handle either breed it wouldn't matter.

Quick point you have a jrt (as do I) I reckon yours isn't pedigree?

Adam
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I'm not the perfect cross breed buyer, I'd only be interested in an adult dog and it would have to be a rescue.

Re the other stuff, I've discussed this with vets ect and other sources and it seems to be the general conclusion.

Re the temperment/suitablity. If ypu cross two breeds with a similar temperment regardless of the pups temperment if they are homed to someone who could handle either breed it wouldn't matter.

Quick point you have a jrt (as do I) I reckon yours isn't pedigree?

Adam
Yep I have a JRT, Nope not pedigree - Wheres/whats your point?

Breeding two breeds together with the same tempermant/suitability is stupied, why would you do that? when you could mate two dogs of the same breed together...

Dont know what vets you go to but my vet feels just the same about cross breeding, lack of health tests and anything else to do with breeding as i do. Ya see he is a vet with high standards and ethics (I guess thats because he sees the bad side and problems from the lack of care from breeders)
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Hey I don't want an argument, this isn't something that interests me hugely except for the implications for any dog I trained/owned. My feelings are people will breed/buy what they want and as long as its done ethically I don't really care.

Adam
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I'ld rather not argue either well its something that intrests and bugs the hell out of me, Because no matter what the breeder is doing, health testing wise and what not, cross breeding is still not ethical ..(imo)!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 01:09 PM
There has been mention of insurance and premiums being higher for pedigrees than for crosses. Assuming insurance is in part guaged on the replacement value of the dog? (ie pedigrees have been historically more expensive) With the 'explosion' of designer crossbreeds which some people are paying upwards of £5/600 just how long will it be before insurance compaines start hiking up the premiums to the detriment of other cross breed owners?

maybe dog/cat insurance doesnt work like that but i know for example with horses they are insured for 'purpose' and value
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Ollie has only ever been to the vets for his yearly inoculations and once two years ago due to an allergy which was to do with him rubbing his nose in the shaggy rug. Easily remedied. He is a breed with a lot of potential health problems we knew this by doing our research and we are prepared for any problems in the future.

My Max who was a heinz 57 I posted pictures of him earlier in this thread, was always in and out of the vets from a very young age he was PTS at 41/2 and he was insured thank goodness that allowed us to give him 8 weeks of a relatively happy life before we had too say goodbye.

Ethically bred pedigree dogs have no reason to be unhealthier than cross breeds. The problem is I think people buy them thinking they are getting something special pay nearly as much for a a cross breed as you would a health tested pedigree and still can suffer health problems and all manner of problems with certain crosses.

I like certain types of crosses and may one day consider one if the parents are health tested and they came from an ethical breeder and not one smelling of back yard breeding. Or I may look into rescue in the future which is an entirely different kettle of fish. To me rescue is fine you are giving a dog a home that for one reason or another has ended up in kennels so the ethical side of things obviously does not come into it then.

I think the important word for any of this again is research.
Research the breeds you know involved if buying from an advert or breeder. Research health tests for those relevant breeds and prices of the individual breed from ethical breeders with health testing.

Then the most important thing of all enjoy your dog.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:31 PM
My crossbreed has the highest premium out of my 3 so I wouldnt go as far as saying they are cheaper to insure. He has also cost me the most in vets fees but thats just because he's accident prone! Jed never moves fast enough to injure himself! And Jessie is a girl so has brains!

I dont have a problem at all with crossbreed dogs and I dont agree with the notion that every dog should be a pedigree. Why should it?? Many pedigree dogs look just like each other. When I visit Crufts and take a wander round the show rings it bores me silly because most of the dogs look the same. Take me to a fun dog show and i'm in my element because there is total diversity and dogs which look like none you've ever seen before.

I dont agree with people jumping on the designer dog bandwagon and churning out litters to earn a bit extra tax free but neither do I want to live in a pedigree only world.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Let us not forget that whilst many of these "breeders" are just dog owners getting on the bandwagon to make money which makes me spit, the decent breeders of said crosses couldn't do it without the Pedigree breeders or owners who allow their dogs to be studs. You would be amazed how many breeders KC reg Pedigree breeders mainly, who take back handers to allow their stud to be used and charge often £1000+ for the priviledge and then deny that when their Pedigree names appear on the crossbreeds papers accuse the breeders of using their names illegally. The only way to deal with the whole situation would be to control breeding full stop!
Oh and Yes, before someone mentions it, we do own crossbreeds!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:45 PM
wow - who charges £1000 for a stud?
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Some unscrupulous breeders do and they are usually the Poodle breeders who proclaim to hate Labradoodles, Cockapoos etc... I am sure none are on here but I don't want to name names hun x
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 17 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »