View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:13 AM

How long past the exact annual date for vaccination boosters can you go.....

before needing a complete new course of vaccinations?

I ask as last year I mentioned titre testing to my vets, after reading about it on Dogsey.
My vet didn't want to know, she said the cost would outweigh the benefits. My argument was I wasn't worried about the cost, just wanted to make sure they weren't being over-vaccinated unnecessarily.

Anyway, Tonto and the two cats had their boosters but Inca had to start all over as was just over 5 weeks from the exact date she'd had the booster the previous year.

So this year, apart from the fact they are all over 6 weeks from their booster dates I tried another vets who said that there was a far longer range with their vaccinations. So would be happy to just give them boosters.

However, as they use a different brand they will have to all have a complete new lot of boosters (just over £300 for all 4 animals) but then their yearly ones will have a far wider range, ie it doesn't matter if they have them every 14 months they'll still be covered.

I've also noted that some boarding kennels won't allow dogs that have been titre tested and not vaccinated, ie proof of immunity is not accepted, only proof of vaccinations is. So if going into kennels they'd have to have the vaccinations anyway.

So..
Does it depend on the vets?
Does it depend on the brand of vaccination?
What do you all do, routinely vaccinate every year on the dot or titre test first?

It's so confusing when all you want to is what's best for your animals.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2008, 11:26 AM
However, as they use a different brand they will have to all have a complete new lot of boosters (just over £300 for all 4 animals) but then their yearly ones will have a far wider range, ie it doesn't matter if they have them every 14 months they'll still be covered.
Our vet has changed brands and my two did not have to start again. They used to use Intervet (DHPPI and Lepto) but now use Procyon (DA2PPI and CvL)
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:54 AM
From the animals vaccination cards I can see the dogs have been having Vanguard 7 (CPV-L) and (DA2Pi) and the cats have been having Leukocell2 and FelocellCVR all by Pfizer.
Don't know what the new one uses, but when I made the appointment she said they would have to contact our previous vets for their history. Then she rang back to say she had spoken to the nurse who said they had to have a complete new course, not just boosters as it is a different brand.
Very confusing, but I can only really agree with what they suggest.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:22 PM
What a load of bull manure !!!!!!!!!

Even the vaccine companies do not have a full course for adults protocol, only one normal booster is required-another nice little earner for the vets of course

I never vaccinate(even puppies)without a titre test, the only one I didn't titre test before vaxing was Wukee, his brother was titre tested in the Netherlands & needed vaxing & the odds were that the whole litter would need vaxing. I had Wukee done a month later & @ 6 months & he now has good titre levels & doesn't need any vaxing. he'll now be titre tested @ 1 year old & then 3 yearly in sync with my other dogs

I actually had one BC who was never Vax'd at all, his titre levels showed good results from being 6 weeks old & he was from a farm bitch who had never had a vax in all her life !
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Well my vet was quite happy to give Dax a full booster when I first had him & I knew he hadn't beeb boosted for at least 3 years & had no idea what he'd had then, now he has a full booster every 3 years & just lepto & one other I think its kennel cough each year. Hannah will be on the same regine as when I took her for her booster at the time it said on her card/pasport my vets said she was overboosted & only gave her the lepto
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 02:56 PM
mum's dog missed his booster by 5mths and they was happt to do his booster, my vets have just change theres and as long as the dogs are due and go in at the normal time they will get a booster but if there is a gap then they would have to have 2 sets. thats what my vet told me.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Well, we are now back from the vets and after talking to the actual vet NONE of them have had to start all over, just had their boosters of the new vaccine.
Not only that but she said they don't recommend giving cats the leukaemia booster once they are 4 years old... well Abbie is over 8 and our old vet gave it every year.

Anyway, they were lovely with all the animals and said they should be more than covered by just the booster, late or not.

So all four came to just over £120, not £300, with worming tablets.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Just look when your Dogs have boosters, one year they are done for ALL diseases, then the next 2 just Lepto and parainfluenza, BUT he will charge you the SAME for vaccinating against 5/6 diseases as he will against 2!! Lovely jubbly!!!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Just look when your Dogs have boosters, one year they are done for ALL diseases, then the next 2 just Lepto and parainfluenza, BUT he will charge you the SAME for vaccinating against 5/6 diseases as he will against 2!! Lovely jubbly!!!
Mine doesn't charge the same its considerably less the two years when its only 2.