Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 09:53 AM

Very sad and upsetting

I met up with a friend who lives in Greece the other day as she was in Scotland for a wedding we were both invited to. She has 3 mixed breed dogs, 2 oldies and a younger female. She told me that her female had had a litter of 6puppies. I asked how they were getting on and she told me that all but one had been put down because homes could not be found for them In her words, it was that or leaving them to wonder the streets as she had asked around and noone wanted to take any pups on. They kept one.

I asked why the bitch had not been spayed - the response I got was that bitches need to have at least one litter for their health before they are spayed.

Now, I am part Greek and have visited Greece on holiday many times in the past so this is not news to me. The conditions and treatment a lot of greek dogs have to live with are heartbreaking. Not only the strays suffer, but it is seen as normal by many for a 'pet' dog to spend all its life chained up in the yard. You only have to look at to see the suffering there.

Like a lot of the southern mediterranian countries, Greece has massive problem with stray dogs, and this story illustrates some of the reasons why. Many Greeks don't neuter/spay their pets, believe in a bitch having one litter before spaying, there are not many rescues/shelters, and some leave their (often unneutered/spayed) dogs to fend for themselves in the local wood whilst they go on holiday. Much of it is an education problem, and a lot of it is down to a lack of respect and compassion for all animals.

I have to say that not all Greeks are like this, and my cousin has 2 dogs and treats them very well, loves them to bits and would never abandon or hurt them.

Being part Greek, I am ashamed of this part of my country's culture, and don't often talk about it here in the UK, but I was incensed by this and had to post. The situation for the poor dogs there just seems so hopeless because attitudes are so hard to change.

OK, rant over.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Very sad indeed
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Very sad - and upsetting for you that your friend did this .
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I can understand why you would find this upsetting. Poor little puppies. Please tell me the puppy she kept wasn't a female?

Heidi
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi Figgle

No the pup kept was a dog thankfully.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 08:42 AM
That's soooo sad... We just had a thread on here about neutering, and it really surprised me that most people are against it...

I have always had rescues and if they weren't neutered when I got them, they would certainly have a future appointment.

Cheers
Lene
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 08:53 AM
So sad and upsetting.
I have mine neutered, but that's my choice, we have strays around here where I live, and unfortunately some are latch-key-dogs...out whilst owner at work. The dog warden is always round here, but there are still more the next day. Alot of them are not neutered and it's a shame when you see a bitch on heat running up the road, panting like mad with a pack of males around her.
I'd hate that to be one of mine.
Last year I managed to get a bitch in the house that was on heat....but I nearly got bitten doing it. Fortunately, that bitches owner has now had her spayed.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Thats really sad xxxx