Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NewRoc84
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Crate and toileting HELP!!!

hi there i have a question... my 11 month old Beagle toilets in our kitchen EVERY NIGHT!!! we take him out before we go to bed we have even set up a camera and he does it as soon as we go to bed... he also does this before we go out to do school runs which are 30 mins (yes i timed myself) but again i let him out in the morning and when we get back but he has still toilited... i have taken him to the vets and there is no problems... so much so that he has often done it in his bed and in his food ?!? do you think that getting a crate and letting him sleep in it upstairs in our bedroom might help??? need advice as soon as possible...
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Maybe a crate in the kitchen would be an idea.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 01:16 PM
My GSP went through a phase of pooping on the kitchen floor every time I left him for more than a few minutes in the mornings when he was about that age. I used to put him outside before I went for my shower which broke the cycle. A stuffed kong or chew to take his mind off being left may break the cycle in your case. Most dogs won't foul their beds so a crate may help, but unless he is crate trained you would have to go through that process first. Good luck anyway.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 01:29 PM
You obviously let him out before you go to bed, but do you go with him to make SURE he goes? Sometimes, when I let mine out last thing at night, they're more interested in what they're going to get on their return that they just turn around when I'm not looking and come back indoors, so I have to go back out there with them and make sure they actually go!

So, if you're just letting him out to hope for the best, he's obviously got into that cycle now of coming straight back in for maybe his bedtime treats, they're not daft are they!

Same with the morning school run, go out there with him and order him to go and mean it, 9 months there's no excuse for this, especially as you've been to the vets. Good luck, hope you get it sorted.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-01-2012, 02:20 PM
My puppy is now 3 months and we still put down the pads and the paper on the top for overnight he mostly does a wee during the nght. Fair enough a long time to wait with such a small bladder at the moment. We go outside with him in all weathers and a torch just before bedtime and sometimes we are in and out for about 1/2 an hour till we get what we want. Thank goodness for catch up TV

During the day the pads and paper are now up when I am home but he has to be watched like a hawk he has been known to be outside and come in to do a wee just ignore it and clean it up plenty of praise when he does it in the garden and a treat.

He seems better with asking to go out to pooh rather than when he does a wee. He has never soiled his bedding. We yet have to go out for more than 1/2 hour but if we do he has the pads and paper down I do not want to set him up to fail.

Dillon has a soft crate but mostly for the car it is in the lounge but he rarely uses it he prefers to sleep in the kitchen or under the coffee table he does not settle upstairs.

I take him out rattling his treat tub saying do wees and as soon as he obliges he gets his treat.

I was under no illusions I was going to crack it quickly it took my other Berner a year. Hopefully not as long for Dillon who seems to be slowly getting the hang of it.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Crate in the bedroom sounds like a good idea to me
Also as others have said don't just let him out but take him out and make sure he goes to the toilet .
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 04:56 PM
A crate does sound like a good idea, but if he's never been in one I'm sure you know that you can't just put him in and close the door. You can read up on the web how to crate train him. I always go into the garden and watch my dogs go to the loo before bed and first thing in the morning. Only one of my two will automatically go, the other one will hold himself for hours and I often spend 20 minutes waiting for him to go
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2012, 06:37 PM
My GSP would poop in the kitchen after a walk when I knew he had emptied his tanks. It felt like a bit of a protest at me abandoning him and going for a shower. Funny how he never pooped in the garden when I was in the shower though. We did resolve the pooping but that was followed by other protests like sitting on the kitchen table, pulling all the coats on the floor, throwing the kettle around the kitchen and howling. Fortunately he grew out of it all.
aron
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-08-2012, 12:35 PM
its feeding times a dog should be empty after a couple of hours from food the crate is a bad idea the dog sound to have a problem with you not being there so you need to make sure no fuss before bed or leaving the house as you build up the fact you leaving longer time outside at correct times with a treat for wee and poo also its time some dogs take longer than others try a low radio when your out
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2012, 01:38 PM
This is a bit different, Toffee @ 3mths - cratered but not locked in would pee as soon as he heard me get up. My trainer said to shut him in, no paper to pee on, & from that day on he was clean.

I also found to get him to stale it was best to walk round the block rather than just let him into the garden. & of course treats & praise.

Good Luck. D B