Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 10:35 AM

On The Mend!! Yipee!!

Hi all,

Well as some of you know I was unfortunately involved in a car crash on 27th Feb 07. I suffered a broken Patella and had to have an operation to wire my knee back together (which I ws terrified of! Never been scared of having an anaesthetic until I started training as a veterinary nurse lol) I was in hospital for 4 days and the surgeon originally told me I would be in cast for 8 - 12 weeks luckily they removed it after only 5! So when they removed the cast the doctor told me he would sort out some physio and that in the meantime I should just "bend my knee". Great! except my knee hadn't bent for 6 weeks so 3 weeks on I still hadn't heard anything and I was really struggling so I went to see my GP. Their words were "we can't really help you but we will chase the physio".

I got so fed up that last tuesday I decided to go private. Expensive but so so worth it! The physiotherapist is excellent and he thinks I can be back to work within the next month! He was so angry with how useless the hospital had been, apparently I should have started physio 3 days after my cast was removed (it is now 4 weeks). I am due back at the hospital on the 17th and I am still waiting to hear from them!

But I am pleased to say I am now on the mend and I can't wait to get back to work, walking Max, and riding my horse. Just in time for my holiday in June!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Great news Hayley. I'm afraid I have a very poor view of the NHS, but luckily get private health care with my firm. It's one of the reasons that I stay with them
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Glad to hear you're on the mend! Fortunately I've only ever had a good experience with the NHS but I have always gone for private physio sessions etc.
Becky
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Hope you will be as good as new soon Hayley and back to doing all the things you love
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys well I had physio last night and they are referring me to hydrotherapy as they don't think the physio alone is enough. I have my first appointment there on tuesday evening. They also suggested that if the hydrotherapy doesn't go as well as they hope, then manipulation under anaesthetic may be a good idea ouchies! I really don't like the idea of that but at the end of the day if it needs to be done then it needs to be done!

My physiotherapist has said that I will hopefully be back to normal in around 8 weeks which is when I go on holiday so fingers crossed They may decide to remove the wires from my knee in the meantime but we will have to wait and see!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 02:52 PM
sending you healing thiughts,hope the knee does get better soon xx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Hope you're fit and well for your holiday. I work for the NHS and unfortunately it's not in a good state at the moment. I've heard some awful stories recently. Get well soon. xx
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2007, 03:07 PM
I must admit that I've been pleasantly surprised by how good the NHS has been during my current spell of needing it, but also surprised by the huge amount of simple bad design I've seen (e.g. wheelchairs with dripfeed holders which are too high for ambulances).

The physioterrorists are good, as are the ambulance crews (and I'm NOT just saying that because two of them are on Dogsey )

Obviously, I'd rather be in a position where I didn't need them, but that isn't going to happen

Snorri
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Good to hear your on the mnd hope your knee heals quickly hugs and healing vibes coming your way hayley
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Thats great news Hayley, hope you continue to improve so you're fighting fit for your holiday
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >