Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
No.1 it shouldn't have been there in the first place (the food)
Why? Wouldn't the dog possibly experience food on a table if it was rehomed? You'd rather these problems came to light in someone's family environment?

No.2 did they really have to keep the camera on him while he was showing himself up??
So you'd rather they covered it up, or made it appear less serious than it really was? I do hope not.

Knowing the potential issues that a dog has, before it is rehomed, is a benefit, surely?
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Why? Wouldn't the dog possibly experience food on a table if it was rehomed? You'd rather these problems came to light in someone's family environment?

So you'd rather they covered it up, or made it appear less serious than it really was? I do hope not.

Knowing the potential issues that a dog has, before it is rehomed, is a benefit, surely?

I think it was a huge mistake to put the food there and totally unecessary. Yes food guarding should definitely be tested for before
rehoming any dog and it is correct to do this - it is the way it was done that I have a major issue with.

Either it was known beforehand that Casper had guarding issues - in which case it was not just irresponsible but downright negligent IMHO - or it was something he had not yet been tested for so should never have been included in the first place due to any guarding issues being an unknown quantity - again not only irresponsible but negligent as well.

The dogs were working off lead so the handlers had no chance of being able to take control of their dogs if there was a problem - if they were going to include the food then the dogs should have been on lead, thus giving a much better chance of being able to remove the dog safely if the need arose.

No.2 did they really have to keep the camera on him while he was showing himself up?? ( I don't know how to do multi-quotes )

Casper wasn't showing himself up - he obviously has a guarding issue and was put in a postion where he did what he does which is guard food.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post

How many dog owners keep Piles of food on a coffee table?It was not a natural situation for a dog to be let loose in.Of course it is a benefit to know the potential issues a rescue dog may have but in a Live studio labled as "entertainment"??
I'm sure the trainer could have dealt with Casper another way instead of standing there strugling to get the lead on while allowing him to bite her. while the camera is on him I found it uncomfortable to watch..
bobbles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2007, 04:47 PM
I agree GSDLover, Casper has problems and I don't think huey helps, his trainer made a comment last week that huey was not to stand over the dog and he still does this and you can see Casper nervously backing off,I would of thought these problems should of been addressed before Casper entered the programme, they were obviously not aware of a food aggression issue because they wouldn't of put poor Casper through that experience, he seems nervous to me and I think its very irresponsible of the Dogs Trust to have put him in the show without at least giving him some more traning
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by lizziel View Post
I think it was a huge mistake to put the food there and totally unecessary. Yes food guarding should definitely be tested for before
rehoming any dog and it is correct to do this - it is the way it was done that I have a major issue with.

Either it was known beforehand that Casper had guarding issues - in which case it was not just irresponsible but downright negligent IMHO - or it was something he had not yet been tested for so should never have been included in the first place due to any guarding issues being an unknown quantity - again not only irresponsible but negligent as well.

The dogs were working off lead so the handlers had no chance of being able to take control of their dogs if there was a problem - if they were going to include the food then the dogs should have been on lead, thus giving a much better chance of being able to remove the dog safely if the need arose.

No.2 did they really have to keep the camera on him while he was showing himself up?? ( I don't know how to do multi-quotes )

Casper wasn't showing himself up - he obviously has a guarding issue and was put in a postion where he did what he does which is guard food.
sorry Maybe I worded it wrongly I just thought it was unessesary to keep the camera on him when it had got to a stage that was avoidable. it wasn't his fault.

Agree with the rest of your post though you put it better than I did.
The whole situation with Casper shouldn't have been allowed to get to the stage it did and maybe he does have a few too many problems to be trained for an entertainment programme.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 05:07 PM
I think if Casper is going to be on, Huey is not too bad with him although could be a lot better (he did listen somewhat to Donna this time and at last was luring him correctly with his hand to show Casper where he wanted him physically).

Don't know if anyone remembers the first show with the guy on who rehomed Cleo the Afghan? only they tried him with Casper first and the little dog was quite scared of him. He did get on well with Huey and basically trusts him. It's just when Huey plays up to the camera or forgets what he's been told, then Casper becomes unhappy as to what to do as he can't read Huey, and freezes or moves away.

Good example was when Huey jumped over the jump last week - Casper moved away from him fast. He's very sensitive to human movement and body language which, having been beaten, is to be expected...

If Huey remembered to be much clearer in his commands he'd be better as a handler. I like the way he stands up for Casper though - he's determined not to pigeon hole him and I like him for that

Wys
x
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Just caught up with this thread.

Have to say I loved Albert to bits (looks like double of my Foxy - looks and behaviour), was upset when Clive and Albert went out, thought Clive was very good with him, and thrilled to bits that Clive took him home. In tears last night to see Albert looking so happy! Best bit of all the shows.

Julian Cleary worse each week - seems to be losing interest in what he's doing. I'm sure Huey does like Casper, but that little dog needs far more sensitive handling than Huey can give, which is a shame.

The producers of the programme should be ashamed of themselves for putting that amount of food out on a table in front of dogs who have had very little training and have had a desperately poor life up to now.

I also agree with the fact that they should have shown Cookie what it was in that corner, it was unfair not to have done so.

There - got that off my chest!!!!
Page 20 of 20 « First < 10 17 18 19 20