Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 03:29 PM

dog toe nails

How many people cut there dogs toe nails i always do my dogs and i must say they are good and let me do them my friends dog she hates her nails being cut she has to get her OH to help her.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 03:32 PM
pippa is the only one i need to trim the others wear down on walks quite well ............all mine have dew claws so those get done when needed .
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Yer spencer is the only one i have,nt done he wears hes down on walks spot i have to do more really but i have done amys a few times cos when she out if shes on the grass a lot they dont wear down and hers seem to grow more than spots do.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
How many people cut there dogs toe nails.
I hope everyone does/ gets someone else to do it or at least checks the nails regularly to make sure there are no problems.

Once nails have been cut if they are filed regularly with a hard nail file and an emery board they never get chance to grow long.
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2007, 04:36 PM
do you cut puppy's nails max is 3 months and his nails are really sharp! How much do you cut off or should i get the vet to do them the first time? my OH say's he did our last dog so he can do these but i'm not too sure will filing be enough?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by mj View Post
do you cut puppy's nails max is 3 months and his nails are really sharp! How much do you cut off or should i get the vet to do them the first time? my OH say's he did our last dog so he can do these but i'm not too sure will filing be enough?
Hi mj I start when puppies are very tiny and the nails are still quite soft, you have to be really careful not to cut the quick and make the nails bleed/hurt the puppy because this will make it fearful of having the nails cut in future .

Some nails are transparent so you can easily see the quick, you can't with black nails so they are harder to do . If the nails are left to grow long the quick will grow down too.

The best thing is never to let the nails grow long in the first place and to clip off just the tiniest amount at a time than to file them . If you are scared to do this get the vet to do it the first time.

With puppies it is a good idea to just do one foot at a time then treat and reward the puppy so the experience is pleasant. You can do the nails as part of the daily 5 minute check that each puppy should have to get it used to being handled.
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info minihaha his nails are clear so will get OH to have a look tomorrow morning when i give him his brush etc, he dosen't really like it but i'm having a go everday so he gets used to it.. will do the treat thing and let you know how we get on thanks again
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2007, 06:20 PM
I've always cut Jake and Charlie's toenails since they came home with me ... Even when they don't need cut I give them a good check over just so they are used to me handling them etc ... most of the time they don't need cut, they are worn naturally with walking but I think it's important just to have the dogs comfortable with me fussing over them in that way. Same goes for cleaning ears etc etc good that your dog from an early age is accustomed to being handled
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2007, 06:31 PM
I trim my dogs nails everytime I groom them, if they need it or not, it's good to get them used to having their feet handled, because lots of dogs hate it.

In the early weeks/months of puppy hood their nails grow really fast and are really sharp, so they definitely need trimming!
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi all did Max's nails yesterday didn't go down to well i can tell you he wasn't very impressed OH managed to take the end off every nail and they are defanitaly nowhere near as sharp, will keep checking them how often should you cut them?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >