Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hippy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2014, 08:02 PM

Dog smell in the house

Maya has two beds in the house, one in the front, one in the back. She sleeps in the back at night and when we go out. The back of the house stinks! I have washed all her bedding and it smells fine, cleaned out her crate, mopped the floor but still it smells! Yet, the front of the house, the living area, smells fine. She smells fine.....doggyish but nothing unpleasant. She had a bath about three weeks ago. I don't like to bathe her too often as it doesn't agree with her skin.
Why would one room smell differently from the other?
She is one year old and spayed. (it is not a pee smell and there is no indication of leakage on her bedding)
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Not sure how that's possible tbh Could it be something else other than the dog?
hippy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2014, 08:27 PM
The smell is of overwhelming dog! The same smell as when I smell close to her skin, or the smell of when her bedding is needing freshened. My hubs has just suggested to me that we are maybe not letting enough fresh air in this room, although I do open the window. Maybe the air circulates differently
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Hubby makes a good point That could be it.
Dicko
New Member!
Male 

25-07-2014, 08:41 PM
We also have a smell problem, took me ages to figure it out as coming from the dog. When I vacuum a very unpleasant smell appears-- at first I thought it was the vacuum, took it to pieces, nothing, then I could smell it faintly on the dog's bedding and on all the blankets she uses. They can be washed but not the carpet -- it's really unpleasant , a bit like sick {sorry]

She is a very short haired Staffie, very clean and totally odourless, could it be something exuding from her skin, I have rubbed my nose all over her and can't smell anything.
The reason I know it comes from her is that the bedding has the same smell. Takes about an hour to totally go after the vacuum has been used.
Has anyone else had this problem? I'd really appreciate some thoughts.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Hi Have you checked anal glands/ears/around the mouth for signs of problems?

The other thing to look at is diet, a poor quality diet full of fillers and cereal can lead to smell problem.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2014, 03:32 PM
I'd agree with your hubby about the airflow. I've got a lot of dogs and luckily can leave 4 external doors open most of the time I'm home. Have you got carpets or hard flooring. Either way, I'd invest in a steam cleaner, they are a godsend. Sometimes I use diluted Zoflora disinfectant on Worktops and tiles. I noticed that some of the fabric dog beds got very smelly however much they were jet washed etc so they've been replaced by HI K9 raised per beds which don't hold any smell so were worth the investment.

Also my Dyson vacuums start to smell unless I wash the filters regularly.