Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-07-2014, 12:48 PM

Are Retractable Leashes Safe for Dogs?

Once touted as the best thing since sliced bread because they allow your dog extra freedom while still being on-leash, these flexible leashes are now being banned by many doggy daycare, pet retail, and grooming facilities.

As a dog trainer, I cringe when I see a client come in on a flexi-lead. Usually the first thing out of their mouth is then, "my dog pulls constantly!” I usually have to hold my tongue at this point because I really want to say something like this:

"Oh you have your dog on a leash that lets him roam free. He must stay right next to you all the time."

Instead, I say something along the lines of "well, you are using an extendable leash that rewards your dog with freedom when he pulls.”

These leashes are a great way to teach your dog to pull. They are the worst way to try and teach your dog loose leash walking or heel. Not only do they reward your dog when they pull, but when they come back to you, or try to give you "loose leash” they are "corrected” by losing their freedom (leash retracts). So why on Earth would your dog ever come back to you?
Full article and pictures here...

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-lifest...-for-dogs.aspx

What are your views on retractable leashes?
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2014, 12:52 PM
As with most things I reckon it's down to how the owner uses these things and how much responsibility they choose to show (or not).
Meg
Supervisor

13-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Don't like them never use them .
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2014, 02:56 PM
They have their place if used properly.

I was wrapped up in one at a Club even when a child was allowed to run around with a bouncy Beardie pup on one. It wrapped round my legs and I was nearly over. Was really nice about it that time but not so happy when it happened again 10 minutes later. Parent saw it happen both times

The fact that I'd just had a plaster cast off a few days earlier after a fall which left me with 12 stitches in my knee didn't help.

Other time I hate to see them used is beside a road. I have used them a couple of times but had ordinary lead for road walking
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Hate them with a passion
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

13-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Used correctly they are invaluable !
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2014, 03:36 PM
I've trained my last three dogs (which includes the one I have now) on retractable leads (tape only, not cord) and harness.

All reliably walked on a loose lead and all were taught that when the lead was locked they walked by my side and when not locked they had a certain range of freedom.

As with all things, the tool is only as good or bad as the person who controls it
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2014, 04:38 PM
I'm with Fourlegz, Chris and Jackie. As with all things they have their uses when used sensibly.
I have never used one until we had Houdini-dog Pepsi. It meant we had control over Peps and she had some freedom in the woods/beach.
Now she is as good as gold, can be let off and will return when called.
So yes as a training tool they can be invaluable
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-07-2014, 05:04 PM
I think they are a good thing if used on fields or woods or country tracks and used properly for training young dogs recall or elderly dogs who want a bit of a wander to keep them safe by your side.
Even in those circumstances if not used properly they can be dangerous I know of someone who walked their Husky puppy on one and nearly garotted another dog walker when their pup jumped up. So as with all things as someone else mentioned the tool is only as good as the person on the other end. I have used one for Ollie on fields when he was unwell and Dillon when on strict leash walking on fields I would personally never use them near traffic.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2014, 05:07 PM
I bought one of the cord retractable leads for Chloe but found, because I've very small hands the handle was too bulky and heavy. Also because it was a cord which wasn't easily seen, M'boi, when off leash would trip over it. It ended up in the dustbin!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >