Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
My thoughts exactly! I keep thinking no wonder their nets are empty most of the time, they swim in the sea by their beach so it would have scared off most of the fish!

But I guess it's always easier to realise that from the comfy sofa at home.. I don't think I'd have lasted long, mainly because I'm a vegetarian and I would have refused to kill and eat animals lol
Florence I was worried about watching it because of seeing animals killed . I couldn't kill anything either except fish.
I am sure there must be a lot more edible plants around to be found . I would get really frustrated with the lazy ones who just lay around on the beach all the time.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-05-2014, 06:14 PM
I am watching this and really enjoying it didn't realise your OH was in it till reading this Annie.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Florence I was worried about watching it because of seeing animals killed . I couldn't kill anything either except fish.
I am sure there must be a lot more edible plants around to be found . I would get really frustrated with the lazy ones who just lay around on the beach all the time.
Yes, but you'd need to know which ones are edible and which aren't! But there must be loads more around than what they've found so far..
And yes, I'd get really frustrated too with the ones just laying on the beach sunbathing.. Definitely need someone to organise them lol
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Gosh Annie, Chris is brave hunting Caiman in the dark he certainly doesn't look his age.

I can't understand why they don't move camp to the other side of the island where there may be more food available.
He'll be delighted to know that you don't think he looks his age

I'm reliably informed that the other side of the island was a no-no as it was mainly mangrove swamp.

The scoured that island for food, all of them, I think, had imagined that they would be left on a lush island with plentiful fruit trees, how wrong they were.....

I know that the lack of food was a shock, and believe me, the first couple of weeks they were literally starving.

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
My thoughts exactly! I keep thinking no wonder their nets are empty most of the time, they swim in the sea by their beach so it would have scared off most of the fish!

But I guess it's always easier to realise that from the comfy sofa at home.. I don't think I'd have lasted long, mainly because I'm a vegetarian and I would have refused to kill and eat animals lol
I think, to be fair, most of the fish were caught through the night, which is in fact, when most fisherman for sea fish tend to go out fishing. One big issue here is that to get the nets really deep would have meant at least two of them swimming quite far out from shore, which would have been too dangerous, especially given how weak they were from lack of food.

At the end of the day, it's easy, even for me, to sit on my sofa and say well, I'd have done that differently.

The reality is that they were on the island for 28 days, they filmed almost all day every day, including personal diary cams. That equates to thousands of hours of footage which has been turned into five one hour episodes, go figure, it's the stuff that gets people talking that Channel 4/Shine use, it's all about ratings and repeat commissions.

Would he do it again, in a heartbeat. Was he a wreck when he got home, you betcha!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
He'll be delighted to know that you don't think he looks his age

I'm reliably informed that the other side of the island was a no-no as it was mainly mangrove swamp.

The scoured that island for food, all of them, I think, had imagined that they would be left on a lush island with plentiful fruit trees, how wrong they were.....

I know that the lack of food was a shock, and believe me, the first couple of weeks they were literally starving.

I think, to be fair, most of the fish were caught through the night, which is in fact, when most fisherman for sea fish tend to go out fishing. One big issue here is that to get the nets really deep would have meant at least two of them swimming quite far out from shore, which would have been too dangerous, especially given how weak they were from lack of food.

At the end of the day, it's easy, even for me, to sit on my sofa and say well, I'd have done that differently.

The reality is that they were on the island for 28 days, they filmed almost all day every day, including personal diary cams. That equates to thousands of hours of footage which has been turned into five one hour episodes, go figure, it's the stuff that gets people talking that Channel 4/Shine use, it's all about ratings and repeat commissions.

Would he do it again, in a heartbeat. Was he a wreck when he got home, you betcha!
See, I think it's good to get an 'insider's' perspective!
You're right they will only show what they think will get people to watch it again next week..
I think hats off to everyone who was on that island!
It's a lot different when you're starving, your mind gets clouded etc. and thinking clearly and making good decisions isn't as easy as us watching it.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Well I watched it and did not realise I had a "vested" interest in the programme with your "Chris" I have to say I liked him and thought him very fair. Good on him for having a go.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3