Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
is he quieter when he sticks his head out? is that why you let him do it.

Youve just got into some bad habits here thats all. Have a good thnk about in a" ideal world" what you would like him to be like, & we can give you some ideas about how to get him like that!
He's not noisy in the car, I just know he would be if we stuck him in a crate!

I think the problem I'd have with a harness is that he'd either chew at it or would try to wriggle out of it.

The problem with a dog guard is that I know at some point he'd trying and jump/barge his way through it and i worry that he could do himself damage in trying to do this especially if it was colder weather for example and I'd left him in the car briefly (I never leave him in the car during hot weather obviously!)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by esmed
Thanks Mish, i'm currently looking at dog guards on Ebay because despite what other people think i'm not a careless irresponsible person.
Glad to see you have taken on board what has been pointed out to you here.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I also have a lot of trouble getting him to jump in and out of the boot and I have trouble lifting him by myself but I'm sure I could rectify this using methods learnt at agility to get him to jump in and out.
I know what that problem is like lol
Teagan likes to be lifted in, and as it's a 4x4, its quite high!! lol
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Esme have you had a look at the pet tube carrier from the roof box company? I'm on my phone right now so can't give a link but it goes along the back seat and attaches to the headrests, the length can also be adjusted to what you want, meaning Monty can have enough space for you to be happy, away from the back window wiper and also be safely restrained, its just a thought anyway.
Thanks, I will take a look into this!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your post and advice. He loves the car and traveling and we've never had any issues with him but I guess this is because he is just allowed to have free space.

The issue he has is with small confined spaces which is why I'm not keen on putting him in a crate. I am looking into the guard option though. At the moment I don't have the back seats in my car, they are laid down flat to give Monty more room to lie down and stretch out so my car doesn't have a separate boot space as such at the moment.

I also have a lot of trouble getting him to jump in and out of the boot and I have trouble lifting him by myself but I'm sure I could rectify this using methods learnt at agility to get him to jump in and out.
The guard sounds good. My Slovak hated her crate and never accepted it (took it down when she was only 6-7 months) so if I could fit one in my car I wouldn't use it anyway, but she is perfectly happy to behave behind the guard or when strapped into a harness.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:51 PM

I think the problem I'd have with a harness is that he'd either chew at it or would try to wriggle out of it.

The problem with a dog guard is that I know at some point he'd trying and jump/barge his way through it and i worry that he could do himself damage in trying to do this especially if it was colder weather for example and I'd left him in the car briefly (I never leave him in the car during hot weather obviously!)
I meant "quieter" as in more settled, not as in actuall noisiness!!!Lol!

he wil be fine, make sure its sturdy & attached well (even if you have to makke some DIY adjustments!)

Also have you seen those window things that allow you to windthe windows down acouple of inches, but stop dogs sticking their heads out. They are good too!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:53 PM

Mine did try this at first, but you have to persist and they give up eventually when they realise their protests are not working. He will not be able to bring down a well fitted, strong dog guard.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Glad to see you have taken on board what has been pointed out to you here.
I'm always willing to listen to constructive comments and I do genuinely care about my welfare, montys and other peoples.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I meant "quieter" as in more settled, not as in actuall noisiness!!!Lol!

he wil be fine, make sure its sturdy & attached well (even if you have to makke some DIY adjustments!)

Also have you seen those window things that allow you to windthe windows down acouple of inches, but stop dogs sticking their heads out. They are good too!
I've got air-con so don't really need to have the windows open I just open them to create a breeze for Monty.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I think Monty would benefit more from a car harness myself, but it does depend if you think he will chew it. The Ezy Dog ones are padded to protect the chest and allow the dog to turn, sit or lie down.

Alternatively there are some fab dog guards out there for all shapes and sizes of car. Like Heather we have a CRV which has a very high, odd shaped boot. We use this dog guard - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165716 - so it didn't get in his way in the boot and take up any room. It can go on the front seats as well, but I really don't suggest that as Monty is a big boy and with the rear seats down will have more room, but further to travel.

Woody also doesn't volunteer to jump in the boot so we've taught him a command word ''hup hup'' and reward him with a treat.
Page 14 of 49 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »