Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vixen
New Member!
Female 

08-06-2009, 07:51 PM

Tail Docking & Competing

Hi, just wondered if anyone could give me any more information on the competing of dogs docked after the 6th of April 2007 in Kennel Club Licenced events. I have read on the Kennel Club website that dogs illegally docked on or after this date will NOT be allowed to compete at any Kennel club licenced events, is this correct? I dont have one just wondered as I see young dogs now and again at licenced shows with docked tails!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Dogs docked after that date are not eligeable for shows where spectators pay for entry (as is my understanding) whether the docking is legal or not.....

I queryed this with the KC - this was the response I got...
'.....In England and Wales, if dogs are legally docked (i.e. working dogs or dogs docked in countries where docking is legal) they may be shown at events where the public are not charged an entrance fee not at events where there is a paying gate.'

When I pushed and asked if there would be people checking I got this response...
'......It is down to the enforcement officers to check i.e. local authorities,RSPCA, and the police. They may well come to shows to see if there are illegally docked dogs present, or are shows where there is a paying gateto see if any docked dog there was docked after the law came into force.'

It came about as I had someone in my classes with a docked cocker and they wish to take it on to competition level agility...I'd imagine thy would get away with it as I cannot see many people enforcing it
vixen
New Member!
Female 

08-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks for that, it seems to be a very grey area!