View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Why do people do it?? Bit of a rant - sorry!!

Hi all,
Just wanted to share this story with you, hope you don't mind but I have a horrible feeling about how it'll end!

We bought our Louie after a lot of thought & discussion. Once we had had him a couple of months we got talking with a couple over the road who then (to cut a long story short ) decided that they wanted a dog. I didn't have a problem with them getting a dog but thought that they had more than enough on their hands he works full time, she works 4 full days a week, they already had 5 cats & an 18 month old little boy!!! in their 3 bed mid terrace
I chatted to them trying to explain the practicalities of having a dog (not just the nice fluffy bits they were thinking of ).
Anyway 2 months ago they basically talked their way into getting a 5 month old Weimeraner(sp) from a well known animal charity despite them not rehoming to families with kiddies under 5. 6 weeks later the poor pup had gone back as he was trying to play/chase the cats and he got 2 excited when people came round & would have to go in his bed/crate as he'd pee everywhere. (what do you expect)

Then on Sat they invited us round and there sat a new puppy, a 12 week old cane corso x rottie/GSD. Beautiful pup but I have this horrible feeling that in a couple of months we will be watching them go down the same road especially as they also told me that they are now trying for their 2nd baby & want to build an extension on their house!!!!!

Have already spoken to the oH & we have said that if things don't work out with the pup she can come live here as this time they just went straight to a 'breeder'.

Why do people do it????
Sorry for the long post - rant over
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 09:00 PM
yeah - someone i know has a dog who dosent deserve one - never gets walked - not time for it

when it gets exercised - its off tis lead and ive almost ran it over acouple of times

and they are getting another dog soon :<

some people have no idea
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Yep, with the other dog they spent so much time asking if I could go round & let him out for a wee at lunch time cos they can't get back to do it!
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Some people eh ? Its nice that you would rehome the pup,but it should never happen in the first place.I just wish people would THINK before getting any animal nevermind something as time consuming and dependent as a dog.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 10:17 PM
if they went straight to the breeder maybe the breeder should have vetted them more closley,if it happens again id go to them and give them a stern talking to.
people like them are what has the country full of pups in shelters there a disgrace,what happens if the kids play them up do they crate them also when there kids can walk and start chasing the cats,will they rehome the kids,i doubt it,its to easy to get puppies and dogs now days people need to realise its like taking on another,child.

sorry thats my rant over.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 12:12 AM
What kind of breeder breeds crossbreeds anyway? Thank goodness you will be there for this pup as I have a feeling there isn't another soul in it's life that gives a rip about it!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 07:42 AM
Obviously too stupid to learn their lesson, and have no idea why dogs behave as they do. Lucky escape for the Weim - I pity the poor pup. Hope you get him
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 10:21 AM
If they thought a weimaraner was hard work they are going to be in for a shock with a pup of that mix! Poor puppy. I hope he ends up where he deserves :smt002
Becky
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm glad they never kept the weim, they'd have never coped without doing the relevent research. They are not really a first timers breed.

Poor pup, glad you are on standby incase it all goes pearshaped though, he's lucky in that respect!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-03-2007, 11:55 AM
So sad when people don't realise the full time job it is keeping a puppy and helping it grow into a half decent dog.
Maybe there needs to be classes set up and talks with regards to what a commitment a dog can be and how they can wreck your home when pups or left alone to long.Don't suppose those types of people would bother to go though.
Hope it all works out well for the new pup.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >