View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I am sort of sidling into this thread because whilst I would like to give up smoking I am not sure that I have the willpower to overcome years of wanting to light up again.

So many people who have given up, some years ago, have said to me that they could start again in an instant and it was a constant battle. I don't believe I could maintain that strength for so long, it would be wonderful if I knew that after three months or so that would be the end of it, but that isn't the case always is it.

Does anyone else feel as I do? To sum it up:

I WANT to give up, and as I never smoke in the house then it would certainly save getting cold!!
I do worry about the health aspects, especially when coughing after a cold.
I hate the thought of smoke clinging to my hair or clothes.

However:

I really enjoy the odd ciggy, and having smoked for about 45 years I know that my body will throw some weird and nasty wobblies if I do give up suddenly.
My old, and very wise, doctor once told me to cut down gradually day by day and week by week to lessen the ill effects, but although this works for a time it only needs a crisis for the full blown habit to return.

I am pathetic, no need to tell me
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Bitkin, find your local stop smoking service, and ask them for help, i think your scared or what might happen, and i think that if you did it, it would probably not be as bad as you think
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Bitkin I am the same as you but I do keep trying.

Last year I tried the Champix and I must say it worked wonders for the first few days, I was down from 30 to about 5 as soon as I went on to day 4 (I think) the stronger ones I had an aleargic reaction to the Champix, nose bleads, couldnt breath I was in a really bad way so had to stop taking them. I do know people that have used them and they have worked wonders.
Also over here we dont have the support that you guys have on the NHS
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Well done Lizzie - keep going, it will be worth it.
I gave up using a product called 'Newtons Traditional Remedies'. I think there is something out there that works for everybody, you just have to find the right product for you, that is if you have no willpower. I too gave up in 1989-it was one of the best things I've ever done. I had to change my life style too, I definitely think that is necessary, I used to stop for a ciggie and coffee in the middle of shopping but I had to stop the coffee because I knew I'd want a ciggie. I have to say it wasn't as bad as I had thought, I had tried to give up before but couldn't even when pregnant (hangs head in shame). SO good luck, you can do it. Keep us posted............x
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
Bitkin I am the same as you but I do keep trying.

Last year I tried the Champix and I must say it worked wonders for the first few days, I was down from 30 to about 5 as soon as I went on to day 4 (I think) the stronger ones I had an aleargic reaction to the Champix, nose bleads, couldnt breath I was in a really bad way so had to stop taking them. I do know people that have used them and they have worked wonders.
Also over here we dont have the support that you guys have on the NHS
I'm using Champix, and have had no side effects at all, will power still required though
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
My husband's just been diagnosed with COPD & his GP has said he must stop smoking so he's trying Champix. He's on day 4 today but with no reduction in the need for a ciggie yet. Several of his friends have used Champix successfully but said tat it takes over a week for the cravings to reduce. I shall give it a go if it works for him & as soon as he's started to reduce his smoking I'll be banished to the garden!

My incentive is the cost!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Well done for deciding to quit and good luck, also those who have managed it I am really going to try give it a go, have flu n feel like pants, not had a cigarette for two days but can feel myself craving even though feel pants
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I am sort of sidling into this thread because whilst I would like to give up smoking I am not sure that I have the willpower to overcome years of wanting to light up again.

So many people who have given up, some years ago, have said to me that they could start again in an instant and it was a constant battle. I don't believe I could maintain that strength for so long, it would be wonderful if I knew that after three months or so that would be the end of it, but that isn't the case always is it.

Does anyone else feel as I do? To sum it up:

I WANT to give up, and as I never smoke in the house then it would certainly save getting cold!!
I do worry about the health aspects, especially when coughing after a cold.
I hate the thought of smoke clinging to my hair or clothes.

However:

I really enjoy the odd ciggy, and having smoked for about 45 years I know that my body will throw some weird and nasty wobblies if I do give up suddenly.
My old, and very wise, doctor once told me to cut down gradually day by day and week by week to lessen the ill effects, but although this works for a time it only needs a crisis for the full blown habit to return.

I am pathetic, no need to tell me
I am also very pathetic. I really intended to give up New Year then my Mum was admitted to hospital so that was the end of that as I was a nervous wreck She is ok now but I have to work myself up to another date, or that is what I am telling myself I do worry about stopping as three friends/acquaintances have given up in the past having smoked for about 40 years and about a year later have developed lung cancer and died
gsdgirl:-)
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 10:00 AM
How are you doing with the quiting?
I did not have a cigerette yesterday! yippee!
Im so proud of myself, one day down!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 12:32 PM
now on Day 13 and its getting easier, the good news is i went to slimming world last night, and was really pleased because even though we have had new years eve, and i had 1/2 a bag of mints the other day when i was driving i've still managed to lose 1/2lb
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »