Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
We are training for therapy and we are also going to start working two days a week at a senior center (yay) soon enough, as well. Nigredo is my partner and his training has to be done a certain way otherwise he won't pass his exams. Not all of it is pleasant.

He must be fine with being handled WAY too much, he must always walk on a loose leash in public. He must stand still and wait on people going through doorways and elevators. He must always keep all 4 paws on the ground. He must not touch any dropped food or take any food from anybody other than me. He must not be scared of yelling, wheelchairs, crutches, crowds, or sudden noises.

Lots of it is hard for him, and for me... but we perservere because he truly enjoys visiting with people and getting all the attention and being out and about all the time. You have to take the good with the bad.

He's not a "robot" or "automaton" because at home... he can do things that he can't do in public such as jump on the beds. It is far from competitive obedience, but it takes tons of focus and isn't always fun or easy.
Yes there's definitely a big difference between doing lots of training and doing only training. Even guide dogs are allowed down time. As soon as their harness is off they are "normal" dogs.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
It does seem to have affected her confidence when she has another dog in another lane running towards her during a flyball comp. she's not happy and sometimes it just sends her into panic mode, and she'll stop, try and run out etc. She's giving her a break from it, she does other things with her anyway, but flyball was what she really enjoyed and was good at, only Utonagan registered as a flyball dog actually.
She's also doing Rally Obedience, her older collie is amazingly good at this, and Kofie has now had a little try at it.
I too have had bad experiences with collies and my dogs, and I try not to be near any if I can possibly help it, been attacked too many times now, and if my dogs retaliate then it becomes that big dog attacked that poor little collie, never mind they have been pushed beyond the point of no return.
I make very sure my 2 younger girls are not even in the same road as one if I can possibly help it
Tonks is very scared of rough collies after she was attacked, unprovoked, five years ago when she was just a year old. She recognised their silhouettes from a long way off and tires to make her self as small as possible, glancing down, dropping her ears and licking her lips. She's very brave usually and I fazed but that attack left a big impression.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4