View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Adders are all over the place and apparently this year they are very prevalent.
I live on an estate of 103 houses where we have approx 20 acres of fields and I have seen more adders this year than ever before. We quite often see them squashed on the road so they must live in the fields. Terrifies me that one of the many dogs who live here will get bitten
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 08:07 PM
I made a mistake in my earlier post but it's too late to change it now. My leg was sore for 2-3 days, not 23 days!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
a friends dog was bitten on the head by an adder , unfortunately despite treatment from the vet the poor dogs temperment changed for the worse and eventually he had to be pts.
Oh no How sad
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by joto View Post
I posted about adders a couple of years ago so won't repeat.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=123791
Thanks Joto - I did read that last night after I saw the similar threads section at the bottom of the page.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
In 21 years I have still not seen an adder! Frogs, Toads, Slow worms, grass snakes... never an adder.

We quite often walk in long grassy areas, and a lot of where we walk is warm and sunny.
Ditto. I walk, miles every day thru countryside and have, been camping loads and have, never seen adder or grass snake my whole life
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i cannot imagine in a million years that homeopathic nosode would have any affect on snake venom in any way whatsoever. I dont even believe homeopathic people would think this
I'm no expert on homeopathy so may have phrased it wrong: it's not the vaccination alternative it was made up by her homeopath especially for snake bites. I wouldn't rely on it myself

The Piriton dose I have written down for large dogs is 4-8mg (1-2 tablets) every 8-12 hours.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks Twix. So if he ever gets bitten, 2 Piraton and straight to the vet. I might start carrying some Piraton on walks. I wouldn't bother with a normal dog but Cain is both excessively nosey and accident prone
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2012, 07:31 AM
I keep a pack of Piriton in my backpack just incase, as well as a tub of Infacol (for bloat - again, administer a dose & dash to nearest vet). It has to be the Piriton rather than Piriteze though I think
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I keep a pack of Piriton in my backpack just incase, as well as a tub of Infacol (for bloat - again, administer a dose & dash to nearest vet). It has to be the Piriton rather than Piriteze though I think
What is the difference between the two? Also, would own brand non-drowsy antihistamines do the trick too?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2012, 08:51 AM
More information.

I read in the June issue of DT magazine an article on adders by Richard Allport.

Basically, his advice is :

1. Do not try to suck the poison out whatever you do!
2. Get to the nearest vet.
3. Give Rescue Remedy or Dr Petals Crisis remedy - a couple of drops on the dog's tongue or lips and repeat every 5 mins up to an hour or until you reach the vet's.

(Of course he is homoeopathy vet).

He also said that anti-venom, while helping to speed up the reduction in the swelling at the bite area, does not speed up recovery otherwise. Most dogs take about 5 days to recover completely - whether given antivenom or not.

Sadly a small number of dogs doe die as a result of an adder bite, but the use of antivenom doesn't seem to give them a better chance of survival.

Of 985 cases of adder bites that the Veterinary Poisons Information Service has recorded between 1985 and 2010, 3 per cent of those that were given antivenom died and 4.8 per cent of those not given antivenom died - so not a significant difference.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >