Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2008, 08:36 AM

Protein in dog food/7month newf

Hi my newfoundland puppy will be 7months old on sunday and im currently feeding him on Burn's High energy lamb and he's having about 400grams a day divided into three meals. Just wandering if i should be changing him onto an adult food yet with lower protein? (by the way its 24% in BHEL) I've looked at the other burns food and its 18% (is that too low?)

Thanks for any responses in advance

Hannah & Noah
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Personally, I would have had him on adult food before now so my advice would be to change his food ASAP.

If Burns is agreeing with him and he is doing well on it, stick with the adult version. If you notice any drop in his condition (weight loss, dull or scurfy coat etc) after the change of food then you may wish to consider a change in brand at that stage.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi thanks for that, i was going to change him onto an adult version of burns a couple of months ago, but the nutritionist at burns said that 24% was a good amount for a giant breed, so i stuck with. will be changing to adult from now on then. Can i just ask what do you feed? i was looking into orijen but the protein content seems quite high.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I would stay with a food protein content of around 24%, we feed Nelson Purina Beta maintenance, he loves it and he's 11 years old.

HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2008, 09:04 AM
its really hard deciding what to do for the best
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2008, 09:06 AM
by the way he looks beautiful!!!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2008, 09:15 AM
There is so much conflicting advice about what to feed Giant breeds, protein levels etc...it gets very daunting when trying to choose a food!

Sorry, I can't offer any advice on dry completes as I stopped feeding them over 2 years ago when my Newf was still a youngster. I now mainly feed a Raw diet (BARF). My preferred commercial det would be one of the wet completes: Nature's Harvest, NatureDiet, Wainwrights (in that order). Mine still have these occasionally as they are a good alternative to Raw for occasions when Raw is inconvenient. Only problem is that it can be pricey to feed a giant breed on these but you can usually get discount for buying in bulk direct from the company in the case of Nature's Harvest and Naturediet.

Try not to get too hung up on the feeding....if he is doing well on Burns now, switch to the adult one and see how he goes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the advice, i will look into all of them, Did want to feed raw but i dont think i would do it properly or how much meat to feed
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-04-2008, 08:38 PM
try google you will get lots of info on feeding raw
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 08:50 PM
There is a section on the forum on diet needs and loads of info on raw feeding as a lot of members on here are raw feeders xxdk